The James Beard foundation released its 2014 Restaurant and Chef Award Semifinalsts on Wednesday, and Arizona is well represented.
The state has six representatives on the list, including three for the best chef in the Southwest and one each for best new restaurant, outstanding restaurant and outstanding restaurateur.
Scottsdale’s Charleen Badman of FnB and Cave Creek’s Kevin Binkley of Binkley’s are two of 20 nominations for the Southwest’s best chef, and Silvana Salcido of Barrio Café in Phoenix is the state’s third semifinalist.
Phoenix’s Pizzeria Bianco is the state’s lone semifinalist in the outstanding restaurant category, while Sam Fox of Fox Restaurant Concepts is in the running for in the outstanding restaurateur category, which is nationwide.
Scottsdale’s Virtù is one of 30 semifinalists in the best new restaurant category, which is also a nationwide category.
The 2014 James Beard Awards will be held in New York on May 2 and 5. Finalists will be announced on March 19.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night