PHOENIX — It’s amazing the difference a year can make. Last February, Arizonans were bundling up as a big winter storm blew through the state. This year, the state has seen record high temperatures.
One year ago Thursday, the entire state of Arizona was taken by surprise when a winter storm dropped snow in the high country and graupel, a soft hail, in the Valley.
“The snow levels went down to 2,000 feet,” said Charlotte Dewey with the National Weather Service. “The Superstition Mountains were covered with snow. We had small hail and graupel in some Valley locations.”
During the storm, Flagstaff public schools and Northern Arizona University were closed because of snow. In metro Phoenix, graupel covered cars and bounced off the sidewalk catching drivers by surprise.
A National Weather Service forecast predicted up to 6 inches of snow in Flagstaff and Prescott and up to 9 inches of snow in Payson on Wednesday.
Fast forward to 2014 and the only thing dropping on Phoenix sidewalks is likely to be beads of sweat.
The city set a new record high for Feb. 15 with 86 on Saturday, before tying the all-time record high for Feb. 16 on Sunday with 84.
Temperatures are expected to drop into the high 70s for Thursday and Friday before jumping back up into the 80s.
KTAR’s Jim Cross contributed to this report.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night