PHOENIX — It’s amazing the difference a year can make. Last February, Arizonans were bundling up as a big winter storm blew through the state. This year, the state has seen record high temperatures.
One year ago Thursday, the entire state of Arizona was taken by surprise when a winter storm dropped snow in the high country and graupel, a soft hail, in the Valley.
“The snow levels went down to 2,000 feet,” said Charlotte Dewey with the National Weather Service. “The Superstition Mountains were covered with snow. We had small hail and graupel in some Valley locations.”
During the storm, Flagstaff public schools and Northern Arizona University were closed because of snow. In metro Phoenix, graupel covered cars and bounced off the sidewalk catching drivers by surprise.
A National Weather Service forecast predicted up to 6 inches of snow in Flagstaff and Prescott and up to 9 inches of snow in Payson on Wednesday.
Fast forward to 2014 and the only thing dropping on Phoenix sidewalks is likely to be beads of sweat.
The city set a new record high for Feb. 15 with 86 on Saturday, before tying the all-time record high for Feb. 16 on Sunday with 84.
Temperatures are expected to drop into the high 70s for Thursday and Friday before jumping back up into the 80s.
KTAR’s Jim Cross contributed to this report.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy