PHOENIX — Arizona Sen. John McCain said he is “leaning toward” supporting the United States in negotiating with the Taliban for a prisoner exchange that would bring an American man home.
“I lean toward risking it, depending on the nature of these people they want to release,” he told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Rob & Karie on Wednesday.
The Washington Post reported Monday that the administration is seeking to resume talks with the Taliban, in hopes of exchanging U.S. Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl for members of the group imprisoned at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. The Post cited current and former officials who spoke on condition of anonymity as they outlined parts of a strategy they described as a last-ditch effort.
“I think it has to be considered,” McCain said. “I think part of it has to be who these people are and how dangerous they will be once they are freed.”
When asked if this would be a sign the United States will negotiate with terrorists, McCain said Israel and Pakistan routinely engage in prisoner exchanges, despite the countries viewing the prisoners as terrorists. Neither nation has noticed a large amount of harm coming from the exchange.
While the exchange would clearly be complicated, McCain said there is one fact the U.S. should focus on.
“This young man should be brought home,” he said. “There’s interesting circumstances about his disappearance, but the fact is, he’s an American.”
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match