PHOENIX — Arizona Sen. John McCain said he is “leaning toward” supporting the United States in negotiating with the Taliban for a prisoner exchange that would bring an American man home.
“I lean toward risking it, depending on the nature of these people they want to release,” he told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Rob & Karie on Wednesday.
The Washington Post reported Monday that the administration is seeking to resume talks with the Taliban, in hopes of exchanging U.S. Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl for members of the group imprisoned at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. The Post cited current and former officials who spoke on condition of anonymity as they outlined parts of a strategy they described as a last-ditch effort.
“I think it has to be considered,” McCain said. “I think part of it has to be who these people are and how dangerous they will be once they are freed.”
When asked if this would be a sign the United States will negotiate with terrorists, McCain said Israel and Pakistan routinely engage in prisoner exchanges, despite the countries viewing the prisoners as terrorists. Neither nation has noticed a large amount of harm coming from the exchange.
While the exchange would clearly be complicated, McCain said there is one fact the U.S. should focus on.
“This young man should be brought home,” he said. “There’s interesting circumstances about his disappearance, but the fact is, he’s an American.”
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development