PHOENIX — Arizona Sen. John McCain said he is “leaning toward” supporting the United States in negotiating with the Taliban for a prisoner exchange that would bring an American man home.
“I lean toward risking it, depending on the nature of these people they want to release,” he told News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Rob & Karie on Wednesday.
The Washington Post reported Monday that the administration is seeking to resume talks with the Taliban, in hopes of exchanging U.S. Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl for members of the group imprisoned at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba. The Post cited current and former officials who spoke on condition of anonymity as they outlined parts of a strategy they described as a last-ditch effort.
“I think it has to be considered,” McCain said. “I think part of it has to be who these people are and how dangerous they will be once they are freed.”
When asked if this would be a sign the United States will negotiate with terrorists, McCain said Israel and Pakistan routinely engage in prisoner exchanges, despite the countries viewing the prisoners as terrorists. Neither nation has noticed a large amount of harm coming from the exchange.
While the exchange would clearly be complicated, McCain said there is one fact the U.S. should focus on.
“This young man should be brought home,” he said. “There’s interesting circumstances about his disappearance, but the fact is, he’s an American.”
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy