TEMPE, Ariz. — President Obama wants the Department of Transportation to implement new fuel efficiency standards for 18 wheelers and other commercial trucks in time for the 2018 model year.
The president made the announcement on Tuesday at a Safeway Distribution Center in Maryland, where he complimented the grocery chain for using trucks with better aerodynamics, tires and larger capacity trailers to improve fuel economy. He was standing in front of a vehicle that he called a “super truck,” which was able to achieve a 75 percent improvement in fuel economy over the past year.
Those trucks are in the testing stage and aren’t being used yet at the Safeway Distribution Center in Tempe. It supplies product to all 116 Safeway stores in Arizona and Gallup, N.M.
That takes a lot of gas.
“We use anywhere from 120,000 to 140,000 gallons of diesel every four weeks,” said Safeway’s Tempe Director of Distribution Ron Dodd.
He said that each of the center’s huge delivery trucks has two 50 gallon tanks of gas. And they’re doing everything they can to squeeze every mile they can out of that gas. “Aerodynamically, we’ve put fairings on the side of the trailers and on top of the tractors,” Dodd said. A fairing is a piece of equipment that reduces drag.
The steps have slightly increased fuel economy to more than seven miles per gallon, on occasion. Dodd says every improvement helps.
They’ve also done things to reduce the amount of gas that they’re using.
“The biggest thing we’ve done is to increase the amount of products that we can put on each trailer and make fewer trips,” said Dodd.
Dodd is proud of his company, which he said is a leader in trying to improve fuel economy and the environment.
“They’re experimenting with liquid natural gas, compressed natural gas, and alternative fuels. We’re constantly looking at new ways to help improve fuel economy,” he said.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.