TEMPE, Ariz. — President Obama wants the Department of Transportation to implement new fuel efficiency standards for 18 wheelers and other commercial trucks in time for the 2018 model year.
The president made the announcement on Tuesday at a Safeway Distribution Center in Maryland, where he complimented the grocery chain for using trucks with better aerodynamics, tires and larger capacity trailers to improve fuel economy. He was standing in front of a vehicle that he called a “super truck,” which was able to achieve a 75 percent improvement in fuel economy over the past year.
Those trucks are in the testing stage and aren’t being used yet at the Safeway Distribution Center in Tempe. It supplies product to all 116 Safeway stores in Arizona and Gallup, N.M.
That takes a lot of gas.
“We use anywhere from 120,000 to 140,000 gallons of diesel every four weeks,” said Safeway’s Tempe Director of Distribution Ron Dodd.
He said that each of the center’s huge delivery trucks has two 50 gallon tanks of gas. And they’re doing everything they can to squeeze every mile they can out of that gas. “Aerodynamically, we’ve put fairings on the side of the trailers and on top of the tractors,” Dodd said. A fairing is a piece of equipment that reduces drag.
The steps have slightly increased fuel economy to more than seven miles per gallon, on occasion. Dodd says every improvement helps.
They’ve also done things to reduce the amount of gas that they’re using.
“The biggest thing we’ve done is to increase the amount of products that we can put on each trailer and make fewer trips,” said Dodd.
Dodd is proud of his company, which he said is a leader in trying to improve fuel economy and the environment.
“They’re experimenting with liquid natural gas, compressed natural gas, and alternative fuels. We’re constantly looking at new ways to help improve fuel economy,” he said.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon