Scottsdale, Ariz. — Cactus League baseball will soon be underway, and Scottsdale will celebrate by holding a party this weekend.
The city will host a free spring training festival Saturday on the Scottsdale Civic Center Mall. There will be a lot going on, including several things where you might learn something, according to City of Scottsdale spokesman Mike Phillips.
“We’re going to have the ‘Science of baseball’ scientists,” Phillips said. “There’s going to be a lot of interactive educational activities for kids. We’re going to have a history component through the Spring Training Play Ball Experience museum.”
There will also be great food and more there.
“We’ll have the stadium hot dog challenge, where we will select the best tasting hot dog from all of the stadiums in the Cactus League,” Phillips said. “We’re going to have a lot of baseball memorabilia for sale there, as well as a sports card show. There will be a lot of hall of famers represented by the Ferguson Jenkins Foundation there.”
Jenkins is a Hall of Fame pitcher who played for the Philadelphia Phillies, Chicago Cubs, Texas Rangers and Boston Red Sox.
The San Francisco Giants, Arizona Diamondbacks and Colorado Rockies all have their Cactus League spring training at stadiums in Scottsdale. Players from the Giants and the Diamondbacks will be at Saturday’s event.
The event will run from noon until 5 p.m. For more information, go to www.SpringTrainingFestival.com.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments