Scottsdale, Ariz. — Cactus League baseball will soon be underway, and Scottsdale will celebrate by holding a party this weekend.
The city will host a free spring training festival Saturday on the Scottsdale Civic Center Mall. There will be a lot going on, including several things where you might learn something, according to City of Scottsdale spokesman Mike Phillips.
“We’re going to have the ‘Science of baseball’ scientists,” Phillips said. “There’s going to be a lot of interactive educational activities for kids. We’re going to have a history component through the Spring Training Play Ball Experience museum.”
There will also be great food and more there.
“We’ll have the stadium hot dog challenge, where we will select the best tasting hot dog from all of the stadiums in the Cactus League,” Phillips said. “We’re going to have a lot of baseball memorabilia for sale there, as well as a sports card show. There will be a lot of hall of famers represented by the Ferguson Jenkins Foundation there.”
Jenkins is a Hall of Fame pitcher who played for the Philadelphia Phillies, Chicago Cubs, Texas Rangers and Boston Red Sox.
The San Francisco Giants, Arizona Diamondbacks and Colorado Rockies all have their Cactus League spring training at stadiums in Scottsdale. Players from the Giants and the Diamondbacks will be at Saturday’s event.
The event will run from noon until 5 p.m. For more information, go to www.SpringTrainingFestival.com.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy