PHOENIX — An Arizona representative is sponsoring a bill that would give county detention officers the ability to arrest inmates with warrants.
“This bill cuts the bureaucratic red tape that is allowing prisoners with outstanding warrants to walk free,” Arizona Rep. Sonny Borrelli said. “It streamlines the process so a detention officer can detain a prisoner for arrest if necessary.”
Before a prisoner is allowed to leave a jail, a detention officer must check the inmate’s records. Under current state law, if it is discovered they have an outstanding warrant only a sworn officer has the authority to re-arrest the person.
Borrelli said the issue is affecting rural parts of the state where sworn officers are not as readily available.
“Say a guy is wanted for murder in another state,” he said. “A detention officer gets called in from the street to do the re-arrest. If a criminal is scheduled to be released at noon and there’s no deputy on deck, he could allege that he’s being falsely detained and they have to let him go.”
The bill is currently in the Arizona Senate.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development