PHOENIX — An Arizona representative is sponsoring a bill that would give county detention officers the ability to arrest inmates with warrants.
“This bill cuts the bureaucratic red tape that is allowing prisoners with outstanding warrants to walk free,” Arizona Rep. Sonny Borrelli said. “It streamlines the process so a detention officer can detain a prisoner for arrest if necessary.”
Before a prisoner is allowed to leave a jail, a detention officer must check the inmate’s records. Under current state law, if it is discovered they have an outstanding warrant only a sworn officer has the authority to re-arrest the person.
Borrelli said the issue is affecting rural parts of the state where sworn officers are not as readily available.
“Say a guy is wanted for murder in another state,” he said. “A detention officer gets called in from the street to do the re-arrest. If a criminal is scheduled to be released at noon and there’s no deputy on deck, he could allege that he’s being falsely detained and they have to let him go.”
The bill is currently in the Arizona Senate.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy