PHOENIX — A poll showed that more Arizonans than not favor making the sale of marijuana legal.
The latest Rocky Mountain poll from the Behavior Research Center surveyed 700 Arizonans asking, “Do you think the sale of marijuana should be made legal or not?” Arizonans were in favor 51 to 41 percent.
These figures are close to a recent national poll completed by CNN/Opinion Research Corporation, which found that 54 percent favored the sales while 45 percent opposed them.
Majority support came from voters under 55, independents and Democrats and men. Caucasians may be more supportive (52 percent) than ethnic minorities (41 percent) and support rose as income rose.
Four of 10 Republicans favored the idea but 54 percent were opposed. Of the oldest polled (55 and older), 52 percent were opposed.
The BRC said a Harris poll in 1974 showed that nationally only 23 percent of Americans thought marijuana should be legal.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development