PHOENIX — An Arizona congressional Democrat said immigration reform appears unlikely until the end of the year at the earliest.
The Senate passed immigration reform last year, but the legislation has been stalled in the house for months. U.S. Rep. Ed Pastor said congressional members are in re-election mode but there may be a window for immigration reform after midterm elections.
“There’s always a lame-duck session with people who come back for November and December. Maybe then we’ll have the votes and the courage to do it,” he said.
During last month’s State of the Union Address President Obama called on House Democrats and Republicans to fix the broken immigration system. Pastor said he expected advocates and DREAMers to make a push for reform.
Some congressional members will address the issue but their minds are on their upcoming races. Pastor doesn’t expect these races to be as wide open as experts believed.
“The reality is that there will be very few competitive seats and the probability of major changes may not occur,” he said.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development