PHOENIX — An Arizona congressional Democrat said immigration reform appears unlikely until the end of the year at the earliest.
The Senate passed immigration reform last year, but the legislation has been stalled in the house for months. U.S. Rep. Ed Pastor said congressional members are in re-election mode but there may be a window for immigration reform after midterm elections.
“There’s always a lame-duck session with people who come back for November and December. Maybe then we’ll have the votes and the courage to do it,” he said.
During last month’s State of the Union Address President Obama called on House Democrats and Republicans to fix the broken immigration system. Pastor said he expected advocates and DREAMers to make a push for reform.
Some congressional members will address the issue but their minds are on their upcoming races. Pastor doesn’t expect these races to be as wide open as experts believed.
“The reality is that there will be very few competitive seats and the probability of major changes may not occur,” he said.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night