PHOENIX — An Arizona congressional Democrat said immigration reform appears unlikely until the end of the year at the earliest.
The Senate passed immigration reform last year, but the legislation has been stalled in the house for months. U.S. Rep. Ed Pastor said congressional members are in re-election mode but there may be a window for immigration reform after midterm elections.
“There’s always a lame-duck session with people who come back for November and December. Maybe then we’ll have the votes and the courage to do it,” he said.
During last month’s State of the Union Address President Obama called on House Democrats and Republicans to fix the broken immigration system. Pastor said he expected advocates and DREAMers to make a push for reform.
Some congressional members will address the issue but their minds are on their upcoming races. Pastor doesn’t expect these races to be as wide open as experts believed.
“The reality is that there will be very few competitive seats and the probability of major changes may not occur,” he said.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick