PHOENIX — An Arizona congressional Democrat said immigration reform appears unlikely until the end of the year at the earliest.
The Senate passed immigration reform last year, but the legislation has been stalled in the house for months. U.S. Rep. Ed Pastor said congressional members are in re-election mode but there may be a window for immigration reform after midterm elections.
“There’s always a lame-duck session with people who come back for November and December. Maybe then we’ll have the votes and the courage to do it,” he said.
During last month’s State of the Union Address President Obama called on House Democrats and Republicans to fix the broken immigration system. Pastor said he expected advocates and DREAMers to make a push for reform.
Some congressional members will address the issue but their minds are on their upcoming races. Pastor doesn’t expect these races to be as wide open as experts believed.
“The reality is that there will be very few competitive seats and the probability of major changes may not occur,” he said.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas