PHOENIX — The South Mountain YMCA is set to close its doors amidst controversy.
South Phoenix residents and community leaders had questions at a YMCA board meeting regarding the circumstances surrounding the upcoming closure of the branch. The facility, which opened in 1995, could be closed by late March.
Maricopa County Supervisor Mary Rose Wilcox said even after the meeting there are still questions.
“It’s very disappointing because the (YMCA) has a very good reputation, and many of us love to go to their facilities,” Wilcox said, “but I think people and residents of Southside (Phoenix), think they were treated badly.”
The building is being sold to the James Megellas Foundation with the intention of creating a school for disconnected youth, according to Jim Diaz, YMCA vice president of marketing.
“The closure is due to a competitive environment and declining membership,” Diaz said.
The YMCA planned to maintain control of the fields that were donated, but the pool will be closed.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier