PHOENIX — The South Mountain YMCA is set to close its doors amidst controversy.
South Phoenix residents and community leaders had questions at a YMCA board meeting regarding the circumstances surrounding the upcoming closure of the branch. The facility, which opened in 1995, could be closed by late March.
Maricopa County Supervisor Mary Rose Wilcox said even after the meeting there are still questions.
“It’s very disappointing because the (YMCA) has a very good reputation, and many of us love to go to their facilities,” Wilcox said, “but I think people and residents of Southside (Phoenix), think they were treated badly.”
The building is being sold to the James Megellas Foundation with the intention of creating a school for disconnected youth, according to Jim Diaz, YMCA vice president of marketing.
“The closure is due to a competitive environment and declining membership,” Diaz said.
The YMCA planned to maintain control of the fields that were donated, but the pool will be closed.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development