PHOENIX — The South Mountain YMCA is set to close its doors amidst controversy.
South Phoenix residents and community leaders had questions at a YMCA board meeting regarding the circumstances surrounding the upcoming closure of the branch. The facility, which opened in 1995, could be closed by late March.
Maricopa County Supervisor Mary Rose Wilcox said even after the meeting there are still questions.
“It’s very disappointing because the (YMCA) has a very good reputation, and many of us love to go to their facilities,” Wilcox said, “but I think people and residents of Southside (Phoenix), think they were treated badly.”
The building is being sold to the James Megellas Foundation with the intention of creating a school for disconnected youth, according to Jim Diaz, YMCA vice president of marketing.
“The closure is due to a competitive environment and declining membership,” Diaz said.
The YMCA planned to maintain control of the fields that were donated, but the pool will be closed.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy