PHOENIX — The 20th annual Sedona International Film Festival will feature more than 150 movies, including a documentary about Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio called “The Joe Show.”
“He has staged a number of publicity events and stunts. He has a great team of people who execute these events, and they jokingly refer to them as ‘Joe Shows,'” said filmmaker Randy Murray. “All politicians need the media to talk to voters, and the sheriff became the master at it.”
Murray spent eight years following Arpaio’s career, filming him at work and home. He said the movie isn’t about liking or disliking the man often dubbed “America’s Toughest Sheriff,” but it’s more about relationships between politicians and the media.
“When a politician and the media sort of work together to entertain more than they inform, it becomes dangerous. And that’s one of the slogans of the film is can democracy survive when it’s more important to entertain the voters than protect them?”
Murray said he showed the film to Arpaio, who was disappointed it included many of his adversaries, but “he said the movie wouldn’t be entertaining if it didn’t tell both sides.”
As seen in the film’s trailer, Arpaio says, “I’m probably the greatest politician that ever lived,” and, “It’s amazing what I say, and what I do and what I get away with. It’s amazing.”
“The Joe Show” will premiere Feb. 26 in Sedona. It will also be screened at the upcoming Phoenix and Toronto film festivals.
Murray said he hopes it will be available in theaters this summer. A shorter television version is scheduled to air this fall on the Investigation Discovery Network.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon