PHOENIX — Over the next few months, two new craft breweries will open in Phoenix near downtown.
Rob Fullmer, executive director of the Arizona Craft Brewers Guild, said he hopes that will soon change.
“We do have a great beer culture here. We just have the challenge of seasonality and the fact that we’re a little bit spread out,” he said.
Fullmer said he thinks attracting small craft breweries could give the downtown a boost.
“There’ll be a tendency to have more festivals downtown and gathering points for downtown,” he said.
From a public safety standpoint, he said it makes sense to have breweries near public transportation — like the light rail train — and within walking distance of homes.
Although the downtown Phoenix Partnership says more than 9,000 people live downtown, Fullmer said more need to move there in order to attract more breweries and other businesses.
According to the Craft Brewers Guild, there are 17 breweries in the Valley, including seven in Phoenix. A study commissioned by the group found the total economic impact of craft brewing in Arizona was $278 million in 2011.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier