PHOENIX — Over the next few months, two new craft breweries will open in Phoenix near downtown.
Rob Fullmer, executive director of the Arizona Craft Brewers Guild, said he hopes that will soon change.
“We do have a great beer culture here. We just have the challenge of seasonality and the fact that we’re a little bit spread out,” he said.
Fullmer said he thinks attracting small craft breweries could give the downtown a boost.
“There’ll be a tendency to have more festivals downtown and gathering points for downtown,” he said.
From a public safety standpoint, he said it makes sense to have breweries near public transportation — like the light rail train — and within walking distance of homes.
Although the downtown Phoenix Partnership says more than 9,000 people live downtown, Fullmer said more need to move there in order to attract more breweries and other businesses.
According to the Craft Brewers Guild, there are 17 breweries in the Valley, including seven in Phoenix. A study commissioned by the group found the total economic impact of craft brewing in Arizona was $278 million in 2011.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development