PHOENIX — Over the next few months, two new craft breweries will open in Phoenix near downtown.
Rob Fullmer, executive director of the Arizona Craft Brewers Guild, said he hopes that will soon change.
“We do have a great beer culture here. We just have the challenge of seasonality and the fact that we’re a little bit spread out,” he said.
Fullmer said he thinks attracting small craft breweries could give the downtown a boost.
“There’ll be a tendency to have more festivals downtown and gathering points for downtown,” he said.
From a public safety standpoint, he said it makes sense to have breweries near public transportation — like the light rail train — and within walking distance of homes.
Although the downtown Phoenix Partnership says more than 9,000 people live downtown, Fullmer said more need to move there in order to attract more breweries and other businesses.
According to the Craft Brewers Guild, there are 17 breweries in the Valley, including seven in Phoenix. A study commissioned by the group found the total economic impact of craft brewing in Arizona was $278 million in 2011.
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets