DALLAS (AP) – More than 700 U.S. flights were canceled and about 4,400 were running late on Tuesday as a winter storm swept across the Northeast.
Adding to travelers’ woes: United Airlines experienced problems with its computer system used to check in passengers, print boarding passes and get baggage tags.
By early evening, about 650 United flights and another 1,000 flights on regional affiliate United Express had arrived late or were behind schedule, according to tracking service FlightAware.com. United said that most of the delays were due to the computer glitches.
Travelers took to Twitter to complain to United. Spokeswoman Jennifer Dohm told The Associated Press that the airline fixed the problem and was working to get passengers to their destinations. Glitches also led to widespread delays at United in early 2012, when the computer systems of United and Continental Airlines were combined after their merger.
United wasn’t the only airline struggling to stay on schedule Tuesday. Southwest had more than 1,100 delays, according to FlightAware.
Southwest spokeswoman Michelle Agnew said the delays were caused by the winter storm in the Northeast and high winds that temporarily grounded flights in Denver, a key outpost for the airline. Southwest’s on-time rating has fallen sharply _ dropping to last in government rankings _ since August, when it began packing more flights into peak hours of the day.
Snow and ice snarled air traffic in the Northeast. By early evening, more than 100 departures had been canceled at Newark Liberty Airport in New Jersey and dozens more at New York’s LaGuardia Airport and in Philadelphia and Boston.
Several big storms have slammed travelers this winter. U.S. airlines have canceled more than 78,000 domestic flights since Dec. 1, the highest number since the government started keeping records in the winter of 1987-1988.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them