PHOENIX — While the Winter Olympics in Sochi are plagued with stray dogs, the residents of Maryvale are having to worry about an “infestation” of Chihuahuas.
Literal packs of the small canines are roaming neighborhood streets, even chasing kids, FOX10 reported.
Maricopa County Animal Care and Control received about 6,000 calls last year in the Maryvale area alone. For comparison, they received about 3,000 calls from Glendale and 2,000 calls from the Chandler and Gilbert areas in 2013.
Many of the Chihuahuas have also joined ranks with the roaming larger dogs in the area, resulting in packs of 10 or more dogs, in some cases.
The fear of dog bites isn’t the only concern. All those stray dogs leave behind diseases and germs, especially in their feces.
Maricopa County Animal Care and Control is strongly urging all animal owners, but especially Maryvale residents, to spay and neuter their pets.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy