PHOENIX — The ground broke Monday on a new project that will open up and connect travel in the south Valley.
The Broadway Road/Avenida Rio Salado street improvement project will include new sidewalks, bike lanes, landscaping and street lighting from Seventh Street to 51st Avenue.
The project includes intersection improvements and roadway widening, as well. The crown jewel of the project is Broadway, which will be extended from 43rd to 51st Avenue. Right now, that area is nothing but a mile-long stretch of dirt and rock.
“It will be a full three lanes in each direction with a median, along the lines of what you see on Baseline,” said Mark Glock, deputy street transportation director.
City councilwoman Kate Gallego said the eventual goal is to tie in the new Broadway with the future South Mountain Freeway Loop 202. She said this project will really open up travel in the South Valley.
“This will drive economic development,” Gallego said. “Businesses will be able to get where they’re going more quickly [and] that means dollars.”
The new and improved Broadway will also take some of the load off other roads like Baseline, Southern, Buckeye and Lower Buckeye, which are congested during peak traffic hours.
The $55 million in federal dollars Phoenix received will help pay for the 30-month project. The remaining $25 million will be funded with revenue from the state gas tax.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.