PHOENIX — The Valley’s housing market is changing and so far, it’s not for the better.
A new report from the W.P. Carey School of Business at Arizona State University revealed that sales of single family homes dropped 17 percent from December 2012 to the same month in 2013.
The news was worse for homes priced under $150,000. Sales of homes in that price range dropped nearly 50 percent during the same time period.
“Buyers are starting to lose enthusiasm,” said Michael Orr, director of the ASU Center for Real Estate Theory. “There are not so many bargains out there for investors. Generally speaking, most areas are seeing more sellers than buyers right now.”
Orr said that there is speculation that a rise in interest rates is to blame. He also said that young people may be part of the reason.
“It does appear that the millennial generation, those aged 20 to 35, is participating in housing, at least in house purchases, much less than previous generations and is preferring to rent,” said Orr.
One bright spot is the luxury home market. There was a 21 percent increase in the sales of homes worth over $500,000 over the same time period.
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy