Crews have located a 16-year-old boy who was stuck in a north Phoenix sewer drain for several hours on Sunday.
According to neighbors, the boy did not want fire crews or police called because he was afraid of getting in trouble for being in the drains.
Phoenix Fire Capt. Ruben Saavedra said the boy has been taken to a local hospital for evaluation.
“He didn’t have any injuries but he did have some abrasions and some scratches, he was not complaining of anything, but considering his age … it is our protocol that we take him to the hospital,” he said. “The other thing is we are obviously concerned about why he was in the drain and we want him to be medically evaluated just to make sure everything is OK.”
Saavedra said fire crews weren’t sure whether the boy entered the drain willfully or accidentally, and he initially refused any help. Saavedra estimated that the boy had been in the drain since around 10 a.m. Sunday.
Saavedra said he was accompanied by police to the hospital and authorities have not yet been in contact with his parents.There was no information available about whether the boy will face any criminal charges.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night