Crews have located a 16-year-old boy who was stuck in a north Phoenix sewer drain for several hours on Sunday.
According to neighbors, the boy did not want fire crews or police called because he was afraid of getting in trouble for being in the drains.
Phoenix Fire Capt. Ruben Saavedra said the boy has been taken to a local hospital for evaluation.
“He didn’t have any injuries but he did have some abrasions and some scratches, he was not complaining of anything, but considering his age … it is our protocol that we take him to the hospital,” he said. “The other thing is we are obviously concerned about why he was in the drain and we want him to be medically evaluated just to make sure everything is OK.”
Saavedra said fire crews weren’t sure whether the boy entered the drain willfully or accidentally, and he initially refused any help. Saavedra estimated that the boy had been in the drain since around 10 a.m. Sunday.
Saavedra said he was accompanied by police to the hospital and authorities have not yet been in contact with his parents.There was no information available about whether the boy will face any criminal charges.
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck