Crews have located a 16-year-old boy who was stuck in a north Phoenix sewer drain for several hours on Sunday.
According to neighbors, the boy did not want fire crews or police called because he was afraid of getting in trouble for being in the drains.
Phoenix Fire Capt. Ruben Saavedra said the boy has been taken to a local hospital for evaluation.
“He didn’t have any injuries but he did have some abrasions and some scratches, he was not complaining of anything, but considering his age … it is our protocol that we take him to the hospital,” he said. “The other thing is we are obviously concerned about why he was in the drain and we want him to be medically evaluated just to make sure everything is OK.”
Saavedra said fire crews weren’t sure whether the boy entered the drain willfully or accidentally, and he initially refused any help. Saavedra estimated that the boy had been in the drain since around 10 a.m. Sunday.
Saavedra said he was accompanied by police to the hospital and authorities have not yet been in contact with his parents.There was no information available about whether the boy will face any criminal charges.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon