PHOENIX — Police have identified the 7-year-old boy killed in an accident in a south Phoenix neighborhood Sunday while riding his scooter.
Octavio Angulo, 7, died after a collision with a Ford F250 being driven by a 67-year-old man at South 17th Street and East Pueblo Avenue.
“The child was immediately transported to a local hospital, where sadly he was pronounced deceased,” Officer James Holmes with Phoenix Police said.
The man who struck the child stayed at the scene and according to Holmes was visibly shaken by the accident.
Holmes added that while speed or impairment was not believed to be a factor, police have concluded that the boy was not wearing any protective gear while riding the scooter.
“Protective equipment for our kids when their out and they’re riding bicycles or those scooters or skateboards, you need to make sure that they’re protected,” he said.
Holmes said there were many people who saw the incident from a front yard picnic that was happening at one of the nearby homes. The boy did not live in the neighborhood but was visiting with his parents at the time of the accident.
The investigation into the incident is still ongoing.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.