PHOENIX — Police have identified the 7-year-old boy killed in an accident in a south Phoenix neighborhood Sunday while riding his scooter.
Octavio Angulo, 7, died after a collision with a Ford F250 being driven by a 67-year-old man at South 17th Street and East Pueblo Avenue.
“The child was immediately transported to a local hospital, where sadly he was pronounced deceased,” Officer James Holmes with Phoenix Police said.
The man who struck the child stayed at the scene and according to Holmes was visibly shaken by the accident.
Holmes added that while speed or impairment was not believed to be a factor, police have concluded that the boy was not wearing any protective gear while riding the scooter.
“Protective equipment for our kids when their out and they’re riding bicycles or those scooters or skateboards, you need to make sure that they’re protected,” he said.
Holmes said there were many people who saw the incident from a front yard picnic that was happening at one of the nearby homes. The boy did not live in the neighborhood but was visiting with his parents at the time of the accident.
The investigation into the incident is still ongoing.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon