PHOENIX — Police have identified the 7-year-old boy killed in an accident in a south Phoenix neighborhood Sunday while riding his scooter.
Octavio Angulo, 7, died after a collision with a Ford F250 being driven by a 67-year-old man at South 17th Street and East Pueblo Avenue.
“The child was immediately transported to a local hospital, where sadly he was pronounced deceased,” Officer James Holmes with Phoenix Police said.
The man who struck the child stayed at the scene and according to Holmes was visibly shaken by the accident.
Holmes added that while speed or impairment was not believed to be a factor, police have concluded that the boy was not wearing any protective gear while riding the scooter.
“Protective equipment for our kids when their out and they’re riding bicycles or those scooters or skateboards, you need to make sure that they’re protected,” he said.
Holmes said there were many people who saw the incident from a front yard picnic that was happening at one of the nearby homes. The boy did not live in the neighborhood but was visiting with his parents at the time of the accident.
The investigation into the incident is still ongoing.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night