PHOENIX — About 600 people spent part of their Valentine’s Day at a United Blood Services luncheon in Phoenix.
They heard the story of a man who desperately needed blood in July 2000.
Tempe Police Officer Scott Tipton was nearing the end of his shift. His wife, Jamie, was at home getting ready to go out to dinner on the couple’s 10th wedding anniversary.
Then he responded to a call that would change their lives.
It was a domestic violence call at a strip mall. Tipton arrived to find a woman who had been bruised and her boyfriend was sitting in a car. The man became combative and shot Tipton seven times. Tipton returned fire and killed the suspect.
Tipton was transported to Maricopa Medical Center, where doctors discovered several wounds.
“One shot went through my arm, one went through my right upper thigh, and went through my side and through my chest, and severely damaged my right lung,” he said.
Tipton underwent four surgeries and 27 blood transfusions to save his life. He has recovered, but had to retire from the force.
He is blood donor himself, and said he’s living proof that you should also donate blood.
“You never know when you’ll get into that accident, get cancer or become a burn victim,” he said. “It’s always nice to think that there will be blood there, but there won’t be unless people donate.”
Tipton, Jamie and their three children now live in Show Low, where he is an elected official. Tipton plans to run for a second term as constable.
To find out more about donating blood, go to UnitedBloodServicesAZ.org or call (877) UBS-HERO.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier