PHOENIX — About 1,500 homeless veterans are expected to attend an event beginning Friday designed to help them get off the streets.
The Arizona Stand Down event is being held at the Veterans Memorial Coliseum in Phoenix Friday through Sunday to help provide temporary haven and assistance to veterans.
Phoenix Mayor Greg Stanton said breaking the cycle of homelessness goes well beyond a roof over someone’s head.
“Give them support services,” he said. “Give them a job. Phoenix is trying to do as much as it can. We need to make sure there’s a safety net for veterans from the city, non-profits, the faith community to make sure veterans have support.”
The Arizona Coalition To End Homelessness said the homeless veterans will get connected with services ranging from physical and mental healthcare to shelter aid. They will also be given haircuts, showers and a meal.
Phoenix announced in mid-December that it had ended chronic homeless for veterans who had been on the streets for an average of eight years. But Stanton said the influx of veterans returning from war in the Middle East will soon need help from the city.
“Many of them are going to fall on hard times. Mental illness, PTSD, other medical ailments. Whatever it is, then we are going to make sure that Phoenix is ready to help.”
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon