PHOENIX — About half the student population at Carl Hayden High School turned up for classes Friday, after a note found on campus earlier in the week threatened violence on Valentine’s Day.
Security was increased, with backpacks, large purses and even stuffed animals banned from campus for the day. The note said there would be a shooting.
“We take threats very seriously, even those that come before the start of a three-day weekend. This is just the nature of our business,” said Craig Pletenik, a spokesman for Phoenix Unified School District.
About 2,000 students attend the school, near 35th Avenue and Roosevelt Street.
Phoenix Police stepped up patrols in the area.
Students who reached campus with the banned items had them taken away. The items were to be returned at the end of the day.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development