The weather is warming up and it’s Valentine’s Day, so why not kick up your heels and enjoy something that’s delicious and refreshing?
The third annual Arizona Cocktail Week starts Friday and runs through Feb. 20. The week includes all kinds of dinners paired with specialty cocktails and seminars with the pros.
A special wristband is available for purchase and can be used all week at different spots around the state that are offering signature drinks — and parties — to celebrate.
If you like to party like it’s 1929, one of the coolest events is the “Light Rail Toast to Gatsby.”
On Wednesday, Feb. 19, attendees will dress in attire of the Roaring ’20s — think flapper dresses and bow ties and tuxes — and use the light rail for a cocktail bar crawl in downtown Phoenix. It begins at the Hotel Palomar at 6 p.m.
Meanwhile, Arizona Cocktail Week producer Leila Lin said that just like the Gatsby crawl, everything old is new again.
While the margarita is still the top cocktail in the Southwest, nationwide imbibers are trending back to the darker liquors, like bourbons and ryes, and classics like gin are big. But Lin also said that the trendy thing right now is to bring the kitchen to the bar — using techniques that are used with food prep and even including herbs and vegetables in beverages.
Speaking of vegetables in your drink, how about onions?
Little pearl onions are sometimes dropped into martinis and Bloody Marys may have everything from asparagus to okra tucked in the glass, but one drink features cooked onions in the drink recipe.
The Luhvul 65 will be featured at the “High Class Hillbilly Hoedown,” sponsored by Bulleit, at Mable’s on Main in Scottsdale on Tuesday, Feb. 18.
The cocktail contains cooked onions puréed with strawberries and then sweetened with sugar. Mable’s bar manager, Tim LeFever, revealed the recipe.
Here’s what you need: Bulleit rye, lemon juice, the puréed strawberry-onion gastrique and champagne
1) Start with 2 oz. of Bulleit
2) Add 3/4 oz. of lemon juice to taste
3) Add 3/4 oz. of the gastrique
4) Add ice; shake
5) Top it off with Prosecco
6) Pour slowly into a flute
7) Add garnish (optional)
The Luhvul 65 will be paired with an appetizer of roasted Wagyu bone marrow, braised oxtail, onion jam, Aleppo pepper, fennel and micro arugula salad, making for quite an adventure in drinking and eating!
Mabel’s on Main is at 7018 E. Main Street in Scottsdale.
All the Arizona Cocktail Week dinners and events are ticketed. To see the entire lineup of parties and events and to purchase tickets and wristbands, visit Arizona Cocktail Week.
Lin has advised all Arizona Cocktail Week attendees to drink responsibly, so to assist with that, they’ve partnered with UBER, a car service that is set up ahead of time with a credit card. UBER is also offering special rates and deals with the wristband.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food