PHOENIX — Happy 102nd birthday, Arizona!
On Feb. 14, 1912, Arizona ceased being a territory and joined the Union. Since then, the state has grown from a sparse population of just 200,000 to over 6.5 million.
“We are a place where anyone can come and enjoy the opportunity to make a better future for their children and grandchildren,” said Secretary of State Ken Bennett. “We’re a place we can get an education, open and run a business and provide an excellent quality of life for our families as well or better than any other state in the nation,” he added.
As part of the Statehood Day celebration, Bennett will announce this year’s recipient of the Polly Award, which recognizes an individual or organization that cherishes and contributes to Arizona’s rich cultural resources. The award is named after teacher and longtime state legislator Polly Rosenbaum who tirelessly supported libraries, museums, archives and the preservation of Arizona’s history.
As part of her legacy, a writing contest has also been established in her name.
The winners of the Arizona Educational Foundation Polly Rosenbaum Writing Contest will also read their essays during the celebration.
The writing contest is open to students in grades 7-12 and this year’s topic is “How Can Technology Enhance Your Ability to be a Better Citizen?”
The event will take place Friday at the Arizona State Library in the Historic Senate Chamber, located on the 3rd floor of the Arizona Capitol Museum. This 12 p.m. event annually celebrates the day Arizona became a state in the building that served as both the territorial and state capitol.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments