PHOENIX — Happy 102nd birthday, Arizona!
On Feb. 14, 1912, Arizona ceased being a territory and joined the Union. Since then, the state has grown from a sparse population of just 200,000 to over 6.5 million.
“We are a place where anyone can come and enjoy the opportunity to make a better future for their children and grandchildren,” said Secretary of State Ken Bennett. “We’re a place we can get an education, open and run a business and provide an excellent quality of life for our families as well or better than any other state in the nation,” he added.
As part of the Statehood Day celebration, Bennett will announce this year’s recipient of the Polly Award, which recognizes an individual or organization that cherishes and contributes to Arizona’s rich cultural resources. The award is named after teacher and longtime state legislator Polly Rosenbaum who tirelessly supported libraries, museums, archives and the preservation of Arizona’s history.
As part of her legacy, a writing contest has also been established in her name.
The winners of the Arizona Educational Foundation Polly Rosenbaum Writing Contest will also read their essays during the celebration.
The writing contest is open to students in grades 7-12 and this year’s topic is “How Can Technology Enhance Your Ability to be a Better Citizen?”
The event will take place Friday at the Arizona State Library in the Historic Senate Chamber, located on the 3rd floor of the Arizona Capitol Museum. This 12 p.m. event annually celebrates the day Arizona became a state in the building that served as both the territorial and state capitol.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night