PHOENIX — Happy 102nd birthday, Arizona!
On Feb. 14, 1912, Arizona ceased being a territory and joined the Union. Since then, the state has grown from a sparse population of just 200,000 to over 6.5 million.
“We are a place where anyone can come and enjoy the opportunity to make a better future for their children and grandchildren,” said Secretary of State Ken Bennett. “We’re a place we can get an education, open and run a business and provide an excellent quality of life for our families as well or better than any other state in the nation,” he added.
As part of the Statehood Day celebration, Bennett will announce this year’s recipient of the Polly Award, which recognizes an individual or organization that cherishes and contributes to Arizona’s rich cultural resources. The award is named after teacher and longtime state legislator Polly Rosenbaum who tirelessly supported libraries, museums, archives and the preservation of Arizona’s history.
As part of her legacy, a writing contest has also been established in her name.
The winners of the Arizona Educational Foundation Polly Rosenbaum Writing Contest will also read their essays during the celebration.
The writing contest is open to students in grades 7-12 and this year’s topic is “How Can Technology Enhance Your Ability to be a Better Citizen?”
The event will take place Friday at the Arizona State Library in the Historic Senate Chamber, located on the 3rd floor of the Arizona Capitol Museum. This 12 p.m. event annually celebrates the day Arizona became a state in the building that served as both the territorial and state capitol.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick