PHOENIX — Happy 102nd birthday, Arizona!
On Feb. 14, 1912, Arizona ceased being a territory and joined the Union. Since then, the state has grown from a sparse population of just 200,000 to over 6.5 million.
“We are a place where anyone can come and enjoy the opportunity to make a better future for their children and grandchildren,” said Secretary of State Ken Bennett. “We’re a place we can get an education, open and run a business and provide an excellent quality of life for our families as well or better than any other state in the nation,” he added.
As part of the Statehood Day celebration, Bennett will announce this year’s recipient of the Polly Award, which recognizes an individual or organization that cherishes and contributes to Arizona’s rich cultural resources. The award is named after teacher and longtime state legislator Polly Rosenbaum who tirelessly supported libraries, museums, archives and the preservation of Arizona’s history.
As part of her legacy, a writing contest has also been established in her name.
The winners of the Arizona Educational Foundation Polly Rosenbaum Writing Contest will also read their essays during the celebration.
The writing contest is open to students in grades 7-12 and this year’s topic is “How Can Technology Enhance Your Ability to be a Better Citizen?”
The event will take place Friday at the Arizona State Library in the Historic Senate Chamber, located on the 3rd floor of the Arizona Capitol Museum. This 12 p.m. event annually celebrates the day Arizona became a state in the building that served as both the territorial and state capitol.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development