Nothing says “I love you” like a conversation about finances.
Money is one of the leading causes of divorce, but fortunately, one Valley financial adviser has revealed five secrets to a happy money relationship.
First, find compromise.
“[If] you have someone that’s more of a saver, where the other spouse is more of a spender, work out ways to kind of keep both sides happy,” said Joe Gleason with Gleason Financial Group.
Second, pool your money.
“There’s research that shows the more you pool your money, the happier couples are in relationships,” he said.
The third area is honesty.
“If there’s miscommunication or even lying about money within the relationship, it almost comes off as like financial infidelity,” he said. “It can really lead to problems and, in some cases, unfortunately, divorce.”
Eliminating debt and creating an emergency fund is fourth, while the final step is to create rituals.
“We recommend that folks sit down and talk about their finances and talk about budgeting at least a couple times a year,” Gleason said. “Kind of treat it like an important work-related appointment…because that communication is very important.”
He does suggest making it fun, however, like a date night. If you don’t know where to start, Gleason said there is a Couples Compatibility Quiz on their website.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night