Nothing says “I love you” like a conversation about finances.
Money is one of the leading causes of divorce, but fortunately, one Valley financial adviser has revealed five secrets to a happy money relationship.
First, find compromise.
“[If] you have someone that’s more of a saver, where the other spouse is more of a spender, work out ways to kind of keep both sides happy,” said Joe Gleason with Gleason Financial Group.
Second, pool your money.
“There’s research that shows the more you pool your money, the happier couples are in relationships,” he said.
The third area is honesty.
“If there’s miscommunication or even lying about money within the relationship, it almost comes off as like financial infidelity,” he said. “It can really lead to problems and, in some cases, unfortunately, divorce.”
Eliminating debt and creating an emergency fund is fourth, while the final step is to create rituals.
“We recommend that folks sit down and talk about their finances and talk about budgeting at least a couple times a year,” Gleason said. “Kind of treat it like an important work-related appointment…because that communication is very important.”
He does suggest making it fun, however, like a date night. If you don’t know where to start, Gleason said there is a Couples Compatibility Quiz on their website.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them