Nothing says “I love you” like a conversation about finances.
Money is one of the leading causes of divorce, but fortunately, one Valley financial adviser has revealed five secrets to a happy money relationship.
First, find compromise.
“[If] you have someone that’s more of a saver, where the other spouse is more of a spender, work out ways to kind of keep both sides happy,” said Joe Gleason with Gleason Financial Group.
Second, pool your money.
“There’s research that shows the more you pool your money, the happier couples are in relationships,” he said.
The third area is honesty.
“If there’s miscommunication or even lying about money within the relationship, it almost comes off as like financial infidelity,” he said. “It can really lead to problems and, in some cases, unfortunately, divorce.”
Eliminating debt and creating an emergency fund is fourth, while the final step is to create rituals.
“We recommend that folks sit down and talk about their finances and talk about budgeting at least a couple times a year,” Gleason said. “Kind of treat it like an important work-related appointment…because that communication is very important.”
He does suggest making it fun, however, like a date night. If you don’t know where to start, Gleason said there is a Couples Compatibility Quiz on their website.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments