Nothing says “I love you” like a conversation about finances.
Money is one of the leading causes of divorce, but fortunately, one Valley financial adviser has revealed five secrets to a happy money relationship.
First, find compromise.
“[If] you have someone that’s more of a saver, where the other spouse is more of a spender, work out ways to kind of keep both sides happy,” said Joe Gleason with Gleason Financial Group.
Second, pool your money.
“There’s research that shows the more you pool your money, the happier couples are in relationships,” he said.
The third area is honesty.
“If there’s miscommunication or even lying about money within the relationship, it almost comes off as like financial infidelity,” he said. “It can really lead to problems and, in some cases, unfortunately, divorce.”
Eliminating debt and creating an emergency fund is fourth, while the final step is to create rituals.
“We recommend that folks sit down and talk about their finances and talk about budgeting at least a couple times a year,” Gleason said. “Kind of treat it like an important work-related appointment…because that communication is very important.”
He does suggest making it fun, however, like a date night. If you don’t know where to start, Gleason said there is a Couples Compatibility Quiz on their website.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas