PHOENIX — An Arizona State University professor is doing an ongoing study to determine which of two types of roofs will help America’s cities best deal with global warming.
Professor Matei Georgescu said a “cool roof” has materials that reflect heat back into space, dropping the temperature of the so-called “heat island” in cities.
But there’s a trade-off.
“For Florida, the Eastern Seaboard, and the Southwest, including Arizona, the deployment of cool roofs does lead to a significant decrease in precipitation,” he said.
The alternative is a “green roof,” which uses vegetation to keep buildings cool. Georgescu said that type of roof doesn’t have any impact on rain amounts, but he has found that it actually keeps temperatures warmer.
Georgescu claims that cool roofs could be the best choice for California, because the state doesn’t get much rain during the summer. He added that further study is needed to determine which roof is better in Arizona and other states.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development