PHOENIX — Couples in need of something romantic and last-minute to do for Valentine Day’s might want to think about getting their vows renewed.
Sami Fine Jewelry in Fountain Hills is holding its second annual vow renewal ceremony at Fountain Hills Park on Friday at 4 p.m.
Stephenie Bjorkman, president of Sami Fine Jewelry, said 764 couples participated in the “Love in the Hills” event last year.
“I put it on because it’s just such a feel-good event, it makes people feel good,” she said. “I don’t think people realized until after they renewed their vows just how special of an event it was.”
Bjorkman said they hope to beat the record this year and need just over 1,000 couples to do so.
The event is free to participate and no formal paperwork is needed. Bjorkman said the ceremony will be completed all at once by Minister Larry James.
She said there will be prizes and giveaways at the event, and couples will receive a wedding vow renewal certificate afterward.
Some prominent sports and public figures have also signed on to renew their vows at the event.
“Steve Holden from the Cleveland Browns is going to be there…Mike Davis from the Raiders, J.T. Smith from the Cardinals and John Bronson from the Cardinals, they’re all going to come as a group and renew their vows,” Bjorkman said.
Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio said he will be at the event with his wife Ava.
“It’s nice to join the — I hope — over a thousand people in Fountain Hills, my hometown,” Arpaio said. “I can see the park from my house and the fountain, so maybe when I do this, when I see the fountain every 15 minutes I can say, ‘Geez, this is where I renewed my vows.'”
Arpaio said this will be the first time he’s renewed his vows during his 57-year marriage.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier