Hey, folks, we have some bad news for you: That super hot guy/girl that started messaging you on Match.com the other day, completely out of the blue? They may not be real.
Millions of Americans are hoping for that magic person to come along around Valentine’s Day and a lot of those turn to online dating sites to find “the one.” But according to the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the love-focused holiday sees an increase of online dating scams.
The scammers normally contact lonely singles and establish a relationship. They trick the victim into thinking they have something special and may even send them gifts. But then a disaster strikes and the victim is the only person who can help them out of a tough financial situation.
The victim, being a nice person, sends money. They never see it again. Some scammers even ask the victims to cash checks or forward them packages, unwittingly becoming an accomplice in a money-laundering scheme or worse.
Another scam is where the criminal will record or photograph a conversation and post it online, declaring the victim a “cheater.” The criminal will then ask for money to remove the post.
Who do scammers target? While they’ll generally take what they can get, the most common are women over the age of 40 who are separated, divorced or disabled.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon