Hey, folks, we have some bad news for you: That super hot guy/girl that started messaging you on Match.com the other day, completely out of the blue? They may not be real.
Millions of Americans are hoping for that magic person to come along around Valentine’s Day and a lot of those turn to online dating sites to find “the one.” But according to the Federal Bureau of Investigation, the love-focused holiday sees an increase of online dating scams.
The scammers normally contact lonely singles and establish a relationship. They trick the victim into thinking they have something special and may even send them gifts. But then a disaster strikes and the victim is the only person who can help them out of a tough financial situation.
The victim, being a nice person, sends money. They never see it again. Some scammers even ask the victims to cash checks or forward them packages, unwittingly becoming an accomplice in a money-laundering scheme or worse.
Another scam is where the criminal will record or photograph a conversation and post it online, declaring the victim a “cheater.” The criminal will then ask for money to remove the post.
Who do scammers target? While they’ll generally take what they can get, the most common are women over the age of 40 who are separated, divorced or disabled.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier