PHOENIX — The University of Arizona’s Phoenix medical school has launched a new program to help Valley high schools students jump start their future.
“What we will be doing is offering 24 students every two weeks for three consecutive sessions to come to medical school and experience what our medical students go through and really understand what it takes to be a health professional,” said the program’s coordinator, Patty Hamilton.
The program is designed to give students thinking of a career in a medicine a taste of what it’s really like.
“I always say, ‘Come play,’ and see if this is what you really want to do,” said Hamilton. “If so, they know what type of direction they need to go when they’re in college.”
The program uses field trips, community service and lectures to let students experience the medical field.
It is open to all high school students. Applications must be submitted by March 3.
To learn more or apply, click here.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development