PHOENIX — The City of Phoenix honored three employees Thursday who were killed while on the job.
The 20th ceremony paid tribute to Police Officer Daryl Raetz and firefighter Brad Harper, who died the same weekend last year and firefighter Brandi Schamadan.
Harper died after he was crushed between two fire vehicles. Raetz was killed while working the scene of a DUI arrest, where he was struck by a car.
Schamadan died in March from cancer developed from chemical exposure while fighting fires.
Families for all three attended the service. Raetz’s wife Stephanie said it has been a year of memories and staying strong for her 6-year-old daughter Tatum.
“It’s really and not something I’d be doing. It’s emotional being here,” she said. Were he alive, she said she would tell her husband, “I love you and thank you.”
Mayor Greg Stanton, Vice Mayor Bill Gates, Fire Chief Bob Khan and Police Chief Daniel Garcia joined the families for the 90-minute service.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night