PHOENIX — The City of Phoenix honored three employees Thursday who were killed while on the job.
The 20th ceremony paid tribute to Police Officer Daryl Raetz and firefighter Brad Harper, who died the same weekend last year and firefighter Brandi Schamadan.
Harper died after he was crushed between two fire vehicles. Raetz was killed while working the scene of a DUI arrest, where he was struck by a car.
Schamadan died in March from cancer developed from chemical exposure while fighting fires.
Families for all three attended the service. Raetz’s wife Stephanie said it has been a year of memories and staying strong for her 6-year-old daughter Tatum.
“It’s really and not something I’d be doing. It’s emotional being here,” she said. Were he alive, she said she would tell her husband, “I love you and thank you.”
Mayor Greg Stanton, Vice Mayor Bill Gates, Fire Chief Bob Khan and Police Chief Daniel Garcia joined the families for the 90-minute service.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon