PHOENIX — The City of Phoenix honored three employees Thursday who were killed while on the job.
The 20th ceremony paid tribute to Police Officer Daryl Raetz and firefighter Brad Harper, who died the same weekend last year and firefighter Brandi Schamadan.
Harper died after he was crushed between two fire vehicles. Raetz was killed while working the scene of a DUI arrest, where he was struck by a car.
Schamadan died in March from cancer developed from chemical exposure while fighting fires.
Families for all three attended the service. Raetz’s wife Stephanie said it has been a year of memories and staying strong for her 6-year-old daughter Tatum.
“It’s really and not something I’d be doing. It’s emotional being here,” she said. Were he alive, she said she would tell her husband, “I love you and thank you.”
Mayor Greg Stanton, Vice Mayor Bill Gates, Fire Chief Bob Khan and Police Chief Daniel Garcia joined the families for the 90-minute service.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.