PHOENIX — With MLB spring training right around the corner, one Valley city is marketing itself to people who are dealing with the cold, snow and ice back east.
There are great deals for people who are coming from out of town to visit Mesa, Ariz. Starting Feb. 25, Southwest Airlines will offer a special deal — one which is being advertised in cold weather cities and features special offers in the east Valley city.
The package deal offers discounts on Mesa hotel rates. The amount that travelers can save depends on which hotel they decide to stay in.
“The deal is targeted to Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Louis and Minneapolis,” said Michelle Streeter, a spokeswoman for the group Visit Mesa. “Those are all of our growth markets.”
Similar discounts were offered through Allegiant Airlines and US Airways last month. Streeter said they were a huge success.
“Our room rate production was up over 153 percent over last year at this time,” she said.
Meanwhile, Mesa has a digital marketing campaign that is targeting six states and Canada. Streeter said the city is aggressively getting out the message that people can trade their coats and snow shovels back home for plenty of sunshine and desert warmth in Mesa.
Visit Mesa isn’t the only Arizona group to recently kick off a campaign to draw visitors from out of state. In January, the Arizona Office of Tourism installed a large billboard — with gigantic flip flops smashing in two prop vehicles — in Chicago as part of its “Warm Up in AZ” campaign.
- 7 common ways to get sued by your employees
- Why it might be time to upgrade your toilet
- Arizona teachers are building a better future by using technology in the classroom
- How to make summer reading fun for the whole family
- How to find relief for chronic joint pain
- Can the NBA Lottery save the Suns?
- Skip Urgent Care: 5 ailments you can treat with telemedicine
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments