PHOENIX — With MLB spring training right around the corner, one Valley city is marketing itself to people who are dealing with the cold, snow and ice back east.
There are great deals for people who are coming from out of town to visit Mesa, Ariz. Starting Feb. 25, Southwest Airlines will offer a special deal — one which is being advertised in cold weather cities and features special offers in the east Valley city.
The package deal offers discounts on Mesa hotel rates. The amount that travelers can save depends on which hotel they decide to stay in.
“The deal is targeted to Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Louis and Minneapolis,” said Michelle Streeter, a spokeswoman for the group Visit Mesa. “Those are all of our growth markets.”
Similar discounts were offered through Allegiant Airlines and US Airways last month. Streeter said they were a huge success.
“Our room rate production was up over 153 percent over last year at this time,” she said.
Meanwhile, Mesa has a digital marketing campaign that is targeting six states and Canada. Streeter said the city is aggressively getting out the message that people can trade their coats and snow shovels back home for plenty of sunshine and desert warmth in Mesa.
Visit Mesa isn’t the only Arizona group to recently kick off a campaign to draw visitors from out of state. In January, the Arizona Office of Tourism installed a large billboard — with gigantic flip flops smashing in two prop vehicles — in Chicago as part of its “Warm Up in AZ” campaign.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development