PHOENIX — With MLB spring training right around the corner, one Valley city is marketing itself to people who are dealing with the cold, snow and ice back east.
There are great deals for people who are coming from out of town to visit Mesa, Ariz. Starting Feb. 25, Southwest Airlines will offer a special deal — one which is being advertised in cold weather cities and features special offers in the east Valley city.
The package deal offers discounts on Mesa hotel rates. The amount that travelers can save depends on which hotel they decide to stay in.
“The deal is targeted to Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Louis and Minneapolis,” said Michelle Streeter, a spokeswoman for the group Visit Mesa. “Those are all of our growth markets.”
Similar discounts were offered through Allegiant Airlines and US Airways last month. Streeter said they were a huge success.
“Our room rate production was up over 153 percent over last year at this time,” she said.
Meanwhile, Mesa has a digital marketing campaign that is targeting six states and Canada. Streeter said the city is aggressively getting out the message that people can trade their coats and snow shovels back home for plenty of sunshine and desert warmth in Mesa.
Visit Mesa isn’t the only Arizona group to recently kick off a campaign to draw visitors from out of state. In January, the Arizona Office of Tourism installed a large billboard — with gigantic flip flops smashing in two prop vehicles — in Chicago as part of its “Warm Up in AZ” campaign.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.