PHOENIX — Arizona continues to be one of the top states leading the way when it comes to the solar power industry, a census said.
Arizona has about 8,500 people in the solar field, according to a job census from the Solar Foundation. That was enough for second in the nation, trailing only California.
However, the number solar jobs in the state declined from last year.
“The jobs numbers did decline from last year by about 1,200 jobs and part of that is due to some reduced work in the commercial solar industry,” said Bret Fanshaw with Environment Arizona, adding that the elimination of solar incentives also hurt job numbers.
Despite the drop in jobs, Fanshaw still believes Arizona is in a good spot.
“The bottom line really is that the sky is the limit for solar energy in Arizona,” he said. “We can produce pollution-free power that has no fuel costs.
“But we also need to look at and keep the good policies that we have to continue to foster growth.”
Fanshaw said less than 2 percent of Arizona’s power comes from solar energy.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas