PHOENIX — Arizona continues to be one of the top states leading the way when it comes to the solar power industry, a census said.
Arizona has about 8,500 people in the solar field, according to a job census from the Solar Foundation. That was enough for second in the nation, trailing only California.
However, the number solar jobs in the state declined from last year.
“The jobs numbers did decline from last year by about 1,200 jobs and part of that is due to some reduced work in the commercial solar industry,” said Bret Fanshaw with Environment Arizona, adding that the elimination of solar incentives also hurt job numbers.
Despite the drop in jobs, Fanshaw still believes Arizona is in a good spot.
“The bottom line really is that the sky is the limit for solar energy in Arizona,” he said. “We can produce pollution-free power that has no fuel costs.
“But we also need to look at and keep the good policies that we have to continue to foster growth.”
Fanshaw said less than 2 percent of Arizona’s power comes from solar energy.
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain