PHOENIX — The family of a man shot to death outside a Phoenix police precinct says he had expressed thoughts about killing himself.
Phoenix police identified 41-year-old Lonnie Niesen on Sunday as the man fatally shot by an officer after hurling rocks and bricks.
Police spokesman Jonathan Howard says the incident began shortly before noon Saturday when a sergeant felt an object strike his police car.
The sergeant says Niesen was screaming in the parking lot.
Police say Niesen then threw objects at the building.
They say he threw a rock or brick, hitting an officer’s hand.
That officer shot Niesen, who died at a hospital.
Relatives told police that Niesen had stolen a gun and was impaired earlier in
the day and making suicidal statements.
The shooting, however, remains under investigation.
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns