PHOENIX — The family of a man shot to death outside a Phoenix police precinct says he had expressed thoughts about killing himself.
Phoenix police identified 41-year-old Lonnie Niesen on Sunday as the man fatally shot by an officer after hurling rocks and bricks.
Police spokesman Jonathan Howard says the incident began shortly before noon Saturday when a sergeant felt an object strike his police car.
The sergeant says Niesen was screaming in the parking lot.
Police say Niesen then threw objects at the building.
They say he threw a rock or brick, hitting an officer’s hand.
That officer shot Niesen, who died at a hospital.
Relatives told police that Niesen had stolen a gun and was impaired earlier in
the day and making suicidal statements.
The shooting, however, remains under investigation.
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development