PHOENIX — The family of a man shot to death outside a Phoenix police precinct says he had expressed thoughts about killing himself.
Phoenix police identified 41-year-old Lonnie Niesen on Sunday as the man fatally shot by an officer after hurling rocks and bricks.
Police spokesman Jonathan Howard says the incident began shortly before noon Saturday when a sergeant felt an object strike his police car.
The sergeant says Niesen was screaming in the parking lot.
Police say Niesen then threw objects at the building.
They say he threw a rock or brick, hitting an officer’s hand.
That officer shot Niesen, who died at a hospital.
Relatives told police that Niesen had stolen a gun and was impaired earlier in
the day and making suicidal statements.
The shooting, however, remains under investigation.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food