PHOENIX — Arizona Sen. John McCain would likely face a tough race if he were to run for reelection in 2016.
The Behavior Research Center surveyed 700 voters last month in Arizona and found 37 percent approve of McCain’s performance but 33 percent gave him a thumbs down.
Nearly 40 percent of registered Republicans surveyed rated his performance as poor, up from only 27 percent last summer.
McCain hasn’t announced whether he will seek a sixth-term in 2016 when he turns 80.
The new Rocky Mountain Poll said Sen. Jeff Flake may be making some modest headway with Arizonans. More than 20 percent of those surveyed rated Flake’s performance “good,” up from 17 percent last summer after he was found to be the nation’s most unpopular senator by a Public Policy Poll.
The Rocky Mountain poll said Flake’s improved stock with the public is most noticeable within the ranks of registered Republicans and Independents. Democrats remain very cool toward the senator.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier