PHOENIX — Arizona Sen. John McCain would likely face a tough race if he were to run for reelection in 2016.
The Behavior Research Center surveyed 700 voters last month in Arizona and found 37 percent approve of McCain’s performance but 33 percent gave him a thumbs down.
Nearly 40 percent of registered Republicans surveyed rated his performance as poor, up from only 27 percent last summer.
McCain hasn’t announced whether he will seek a sixth-term in 2016 when he turns 80.
The new Rocky Mountain Poll said Sen. Jeff Flake may be making some modest headway with Arizonans. More than 20 percent of those surveyed rated Flake’s performance “good,” up from 17 percent last summer after he was found to be the nation’s most unpopular senator by a Public Policy Poll.
The Rocky Mountain poll said Flake’s improved stock with the public is most noticeable within the ranks of registered Republicans and Independents. Democrats remain very cool toward the senator.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night