PEORIA, Ariz. — A Valley woman is helping breast cancer survivors look like their old selves.
When you walk into Simple Body Art near Arrowhead mall in Peoria, you’ll find tattoo artist Mary Anne Baker.
Five years ago, she saw that there was a need for tattoo artists offering restoration tattoos to breast cancer survivors.
“I’m a bit of an artist, so I took my permanent makeup tattooing, combined it with my artistry, and do beautiful 3-D nipples,” said Baker.
She teams with East Valley reconstructive surgeon Dr. Emese Kalnoki-Kis to offer a special 3-D tattoo technique to create more realistic looking breasts for the patient.
“We spend time with the patients and draw (the nipples) on,” Baker said. “The patient gets to have a part in the placement, and the size, and the shape.
“All of those things are very individual and very personal. When they look in the mirror, I want them to see as close a resemblance as possible to where they were before cancer.”
The procedure is done in about two hours, with a follow up visit in about six weeks. It costs $400, and is covered by many insurance companies.
Baker has heard of only one other tattoo artist in the country doing the 3-D reconstructive method, and that person is in New York. She said that there are other valley artists doing breast reconstruction tattoos, but not with the 3-D method that she has become known for. She says she has had many patients come to her to repair mistakes that were done by other artists.
“If it looks like a pepperoni was tattooed on to your chest, that is not 3-Dl nipple tattooing,” Baker said. “It’s just not.”
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food