Phoenix — Aircraft are being deliberately targeted by people shining lasers at their cockpits. Now, a reward is being offered to catch those who do it.
For the next 60 days, the FBI will offer a $10,000 reward for information that leads to the arrest of anyone shining a laser at any police, military, or civilian aircraft. The reward is in addition to a $11,000 reward offered by the Federal Aviation Administration.
“This initiative is being implemented in 12 FBI offices across the country, from Los Angeles to San Juan, Puerto Rico,” said FBI Special Agent In Charge Douglas G. Price.
He made the announcement at the FBI Offices in Phoenix, which is one of those 12 selected offices.
“The offices have been selected based on the number of instances that have occurred in their territory,” he said.
The FBI says there were 3,960 laser strikes reported nationwide in 2013, with an average of almost 11 each day. The number of laser strikes have jumped more than 1,100 percent since 2005.
Phoenix Police Chief Daniel Garcia says it’s a big problem for his department.
“Our pilots experience at least two times a month where we’re attacked by a laser,” Garcia said. “It’s a very serious situation for our pilots. It’s placing their lives in danger, as well as the people on the ground.”
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food