Phoenix — Aircraft are being deliberately targeted by people shining lasers at their cockpits. Now, a reward is being offered to catch those who do it.
For the next 60 days, the FBI will offer a $10,000 reward for information that leads to the arrest of anyone shining a laser at any police, military, or civilian aircraft. The reward is in addition to a $11,000 reward offered by the Federal Aviation Administration.
“This initiative is being implemented in 12 FBI offices across the country, from Los Angeles to San Juan, Puerto Rico,” said FBI Special Agent In Charge Douglas G. Price.
He made the announcement at the FBI Offices in Phoenix, which is one of those 12 selected offices.
“The offices have been selected based on the number of instances that have occurred in their territory,” he said.
The FBI says there were 3,960 laser strikes reported nationwide in 2013, with an average of almost 11 each day. The number of laser strikes have jumped more than 1,100 percent since 2005.
Phoenix Police Chief Daniel Garcia says it’s a big problem for his department.
“Our pilots experience at least two times a month where we’re attacked by a laser,” Garcia said. “It’s a very serious situation for our pilots. It’s placing their lives in danger, as well as the people on the ground.”
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development