Phoenix — Aircraft are being deliberately targeted by people shining lasers at their cockpits. Now, a reward is being offered to catch those who do it.
For the next 60 days, the FBI will offer a $10,000 reward for information that leads to the arrest of anyone shining a laser at any police, military, or civilian aircraft. The reward is in addition to a $11,000 reward offered by the Federal Aviation Administration.
“This initiative is being implemented in 12 FBI offices across the country, from Los Angeles to San Juan, Puerto Rico,” said FBI Special Agent In Charge Douglas G. Price.
He made the announcement at the FBI Offices in Phoenix, which is one of those 12 selected offices.
“The offices have been selected based on the number of instances that have occurred in their territory,” he said.
The FBI says there were 3,960 laser strikes reported nationwide in 2013, with an average of almost 11 each day. The number of laser strikes have jumped more than 1,100 percent since 2005.
Phoenix Police Chief Daniel Garcia says it’s a big problem for his department.
“Our pilots experience at least two times a month where we’re attacked by a laser,” Garcia said. “It’s a very serious situation for our pilots. It’s placing their lives in danger, as well as the people on the ground.”
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns