Phoenix Vice Mayor Bill Gates said the 21st century has been the Southwest’s driest over the past 400 years, and there’s no immediate end in sight.
But despite the region’s dry spell, Gates said he wants to make sure Phoenix has enough water to meet the city’s population growth.
“Phoenix has a good track record when it comes to dealing with water issues and having the supply that we need for residents,” Gates said.
“I want to increase the attention on what has been done and how we can prepare for the future. We don’t know what’s going to happen moving forward. We need to be prepared for the worst and hope for the best.”
ASU climate expert Randy Cerveny said Arizona has been facing varying degrees of drought since about 1997, adding that the region has had mega droughts before that lasted for more than a century. Ceverny said It remains to be seen if Phoenix in another one of these mega droughts.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them