Phoenix Vice Mayor Bill Gates said the 21st century has been the Southwest’s driest over the past 400 years, and there’s no immediate end in sight.
But despite the region’s dry spell, Gates said he wants to make sure Phoenix has enough water to meet the city’s population growth.
“Phoenix has a good track record when it comes to dealing with water issues and having the supply that we need for residents,” Gates said.
“I want to increase the attention on what has been done and how we can prepare for the future. We don’t know what’s going to happen moving forward. We need to be prepared for the worst and hope for the best.”
ASU climate expert Randy Cerveny said Arizona has been facing varying degrees of drought since about 1997, adding that the region has had mega droughts before that lasted for more than a century. Ceverny said It remains to be seen if Phoenix in another one of these mega droughts.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.