Phoenix Vice Mayor Bill Gates said the 21st century has been the Southwest’s driest over the past 400 years, and there’s no immediate end in sight.
But despite the region’s dry spell, Gates said he wants to make sure Phoenix has enough water to meet the city’s population growth.
“Phoenix has a good track record when it comes to dealing with water issues and having the supply that we need for residents,” Gates said.
“I want to increase the attention on what has been done and how we can prepare for the future. We don’t know what’s going to happen moving forward. We need to be prepared for the worst and hope for the best.”
ASU climate expert Randy Cerveny said Arizona has been facing varying degrees of drought since about 1997, adding that the region has had mega droughts before that lasted for more than a century. Ceverny said It remains to be seen if Phoenix in another one of these mega droughts.
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development