PHOENIX — It has become the “winter that wasn’t” in Arizona.
January didn’t have a single day with a below normal temperature, record highs in the 80s and 90s were expected later this week and there hasn’t been rain since Dec. 20. What a difference a year makes.
“Last year we were fighting freezing temperatures and selling frost cloth to protect plants as soon as we could get it,” said Jeff Harper of Harper’s Nursery.
Citrus trees usually begin to flower in Arizona anytime from early to mid-March but now everything is blooming. Harper said he’s had a run of people wanting to plant gardens already. This year that should be just fine for the early birds.
“If it freezes then you can always replant. I don’t see that happening and if it turns hot on us then you won’t get much of a tomato crop anyway so you’re better off planting early and keeping your fingers crossed,” he said.
“As for the citrus, it would have to get very cold to do any fruit damage but those blossoms that come out could freeze.”
Harper said the rule of thumb was to do the bulk of planting in mid- to late March but the extremely warm weather this week will change that.
And while this warm and dry winter beats shoveling snow, it does come with a downside. The early bloom is not good for allergy sufferers and there might be a bump in the water bill from soaking down plants and trees.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food