PHOENIX — Spring training is almost here.
With tens of millions spent on training facilities, some may wonder how Valley cities can make that money back, since the Cactus League is only played a few weeks out of a year.
The City of Peoria houses the Seattle Mariners and San Diego Padres and is shelling out 40 million dollars in renovations as part of a deal to keep both teams in Peoria for the next 20 years.
“The city knows we are going to lose money on it, [but] we don’t lose that much,” said Peoria’s Director of Communications Bo Larsen. “What it does is that people come here, and] they partake in businesses around here, so we get it back through tax revenue.”
City events, concerts and many other sporting activities are part of the answer, according Larsen.
“That’s the key to making the stadium successful,” Larsen said. “It’s not just a Spring Training location, it’s year-round use.”
Having a stadium by itself is not a moneymaker, but it’s the quality of life that it brings for residents in the Valley, and especially Peoria, that pays off, he said.
Pitchers and catchers report Wednesday for spring training. The Cactus League’s first game is Feb. 26.
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain