PHOENIX — Spring training is almost here.
With tens of millions spent on training facilities, some may wonder how Valley cities can make that money back, since the Cactus League is only played a few weeks out of a year.
The City of Peoria houses the Seattle Mariners and San Diego Padres and is shelling out 40 million dollars in renovations as part of a deal to keep both teams in Peoria for the next 20 years.
“The city knows we are going to lose money on it, [but] we don’t lose that much,” said Peoria’s Director of Communications Bo Larsen. “What it does is that people come here, and] they partake in businesses around here, so we get it back through tax revenue.”
City events, concerts and many other sporting activities are part of the answer, according Larsen.
“That’s the key to making the stadium successful,” Larsen said. “It’s not just a Spring Training location, it’s year-round use.”
Having a stadium by itself is not a moneymaker, but it’s the quality of life that it brings for residents in the Valley, and especially Peoria, that pays off, he said.
Pitchers and catchers report Wednesday for spring training. The Cactus League’s first game is Feb. 26.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.