PHOENIX — When you order a home security system you expect the alarm installers to be honest and trustworthy, but some are worried a bill at the state legislature could make it tougher to tell.
“It’s a public safety issue for us,” said Dale Weibusch with the League of Arizona Cities and Towns.
His group, which represents more than 90 communities across the state, is opposed to House Bill 2564. The bill would eliminate a list of crimes — including burglary, kidnapping and sexual assault — that would prohibit a person from becoming certified to install alarm systems in Arizona.
Under the current system, a person needs to apply and undergo a criminal background check in order to gain state certification, but HB 2564 would no longer require those checks.
Instead, the bill calls for the State Board of Technical Registration to deny an application for certification if a controlling person of an alarm business or an alarm agent “lacks good moral character.” The bill states a lack of good moral character may be established by evidence of past criminal activity, but it lists no convictions as the current law does, including robbery, child molestation and homicide.
“Most people would understand that you don’t want those folks coming into your home, understanding the layout of your home, installing your alarm equipment,” Weibusch said.
A few years ago, he added, cities teamed up with alarm companies to get legislators to pass the current law, which went into effect last October. He said he doesn’t understand why there’s a push to change it.
KTAR requested an interview with the bill sponsor, House Majority Leader David Gowan (R- Sierra Vista), but he was unavailable. We requested an explanation from the House Republican Communications Staff, but did not hear back.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food