PHOENIX — Don’t touch suspicious devices found in the southwestern Arizona desert.
That’s the warning from Arizona officials after a couple of blasting caps were found near Interstate 10 in the Quartzsite area.
“We’ve had military and mining operations going on in that area for 100 years,” said Lori Cook of the Bureau of Land Management. “Items that are left behind that could be extremely hazardous and dangerous like unexploded ordinances and explosives were found in the Quartzsite area a couple days ago.”
What’s alarming is that those had been moved before experts could get there, she added.
“It’s always a good idea just to remind the public that these kinds of things are out there,” Cook said, “and they need to be very, very careful when they come across them.”
If you find an unfamiliar device on the ground, Cook said not to touch it, and to leave the area the way you came in. You can then mark it or pinpoint its location by GPS, and then call the appropriate authorities, she added.
“You can call the Bureau of Land Management or the county that you happen to be in,” said Cook. “You don’t need to call 911 if no one has been injured.”
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food