PEORIA, Ariz. — Both the Seattle Mariners and San Diego Padres will share a newly renovated facility in time for the 2014 Cactus League season.
The $30 million upgrades to Peoria Sports Complex were part of a 20-year deal to keep both teams in the city.
“New facilities were coming on board for the Cactus League, and so it’s our turn,” said Bo Larsen, director of communications for the city of Peoria. “Working closely with the Padres and Mariners, they got their dream clubhouse.”
The renovations needed to be completed in between the end of the 2013 season and the beginning of this one. That left workers roughly nine months to complete the project.
The new facility is state-of-the-art and double the previous one’s size, Larsen said.
“The teams have even mentioned that some of the clubhouse stuff they have they play with here is better than the stuff they have in San Diego and Seattle,” he said. “So we are really proud of that.”
The city plans to begin $10 million in renovations on the main stadium in the next year, Larsen added.
Pitchers and catchers for both teams report Wednesday. The first game to be held at the revamped facility features Mariners versus the Padres on Feb. 27.
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier