PEORIA, Ariz. — Both the Seattle Mariners and San Diego Padres will share a newly renovated facility in time for the 2014 Cactus League season.
The $30 million upgrades to Peoria Sports Complex were part of a 20-year deal to keep both teams in the city.
“New facilities were coming on board for the Cactus League, and so it’s our turn,” said Bo Larsen, director of communications for the city of Peoria. “Working closely with the Padres and Mariners, they got their dream clubhouse.”
The renovations needed to be completed in between the end of the 2013 season and the beginning of this one. That left workers roughly nine months to complete the project.
The new facility is state-of-the-art and double the previous one’s size, Larsen said.
“The teams have even mentioned that some of the clubhouse stuff they have they play with here is better than the stuff they have in San Diego and Seattle,” he said. “So we are really proud of that.”
The city plans to begin $10 million in renovations on the main stadium in the next year, Larsen added.
Pitchers and catchers for both teams report Wednesday. The first game to be held at the revamped facility features Mariners versus the Padres on Feb. 27.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon