PEORIA, Ariz. — Both the Seattle Mariners and San Diego Padres will share a newly renovated facility in time for the 2014 Cactus League season.
The $30 million upgrades to Peoria Sports Complex were part of a 20-year deal to keep both teams in the city.
“New facilities were coming on board for the Cactus League, and so it’s our turn,” said Bo Larsen, director of communications for the city of Peoria. “Working closely with the Padres and Mariners, they got their dream clubhouse.”
The renovations needed to be completed in between the end of the 2013 season and the beginning of this one. That left workers roughly nine months to complete the project.
The new facility is state-of-the-art and double the previous one’s size, Larsen said.
“The teams have even mentioned that some of the clubhouse stuff they have they play with here is better than the stuff they have in San Diego and Seattle,” he said. “So we are really proud of that.”
The city plans to begin $10 million in renovations on the main stadium in the next year, Larsen added.
Pitchers and catchers for both teams report Wednesday. The first game to be held at the revamped facility features Mariners versus the Padres on Feb. 27.
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains