PHOENIX — Everybody loves Valentine’s Day balloons. Everybody, that is, except utility companies.
Alan Bunnell with Arizona Public Service said metallic Mylar balloons and the electrical grid don’t mix. In the past five years, the aluminum balloons have caused 130 outages after floating into power lines.
“This left about 100,000 customers without service for a total of 33,000 plus customer hours,” Bunnell said.
One balloon can cause a short circuit, which can trigger an explosion or melt the electrical wires, Bunnell said. The balloons should be kept indoors and then deflated and thrown away once they are no longer wanted.
“Keep them on a tether with something heavyweight. Keep them tied to a table,” Bunnell said.
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development