An explosion at a Gilbert home on Sunday afternoon that injured one man appears not to have been caused by fumes from paint thinner, but by an underground natural gas leak instead.
Initially it was believed that as a man lit a cigarette in his garage on the 1900 block of Palomino Drive, it ignited fumes from old rags covered in paint thinner and caused the explosion.
But as crews were wrapping up the scene, Battalion Chief Brian Ruffentine with Gilbert Fire and Rescue said hazardous material crew began checking underground natural gas level in the neighborhood and discovered some abnormalities.
“The neighborhood itself does not have natural gas to it, but the adjoining one does” Ruffentine said. “We’ve got enough conflicting information from the metering that posed a question of whether or not we have got an underground gas leak.”
Dozens of crews responded to the scene and began evacuating approximately 22 homes in the area near East Warner Road and South Val Vista, Ruffentine said. Southwest Gas is also responding.
“If we do have a gas leak we need to secure that before it’ll be safe for the folks to get back in their house,” he said.
The explosion now believed to be caused by the leak, was strong enough to blow the garage door off of the home and the man sustained severe burns, according to Ruffentine.
He was transported to Maricopa County Medical Center and is in serious condition. So far no one else has been injured.
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Caring Crisis: Rising tide In Alzheimer’s disease leads to shortage of caregivers
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain