PHOENIX — There are some disturbing new statistics about kids not being buckled into child safety seats correctly when riding in the car.
Arizona law says that kids younger than 5 years old and weighing less than 40 pounds must be in a child safety seat in a vehicle. Children ages 5-8 and under 4 feet, 9 inches tall must be in a booster seat.
James Garnand of the Safe Kids Coalition said that according to his group’s latest survey, a lot of people are ignoring the law.
“Twenty-five percent of parents say that they’ve driven with their child unrestrained in the car before,” he said.
During an appearance on News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s “Arizona’s Morning News Weekend,” Garnand said that people with higher incomes are more likely not to have their kids strapped in for the ride.
“Thirty-four percent of affluent parents, those that make over $100,000 a year, say it’s OK if you don’t restrain your child for short trips,” he said. “That compares to 15 percent of parents who make less than $35,000 a year.”
He added that he could not explain why the different incomes resulted in different attitudes regarding safety seats.
Garnand said that a high number of people are getting careless when it comes to the car seats.
“Up to 90 percent of the seats are installed incorrectly. They’re either facing the wrong direction, or not in tight enough.”
The Safe Kids survey also said that 23 percent of the parents responding who were under 30 years old think it’s OK if their kids are not in safety seats during overnight trips.
Garnand said it’s important that parents always fasten their kids into the car seat, and that it is properly installed.
The Arizona Department of Transportation says that 44 children 14 years old or younger were killed in Arizona traffic accidents in 2012. An additional 3,600 were injured that year.
For tips on how to install a car seat correctly, visit http://cert.safekids.org/
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development