PHOENIX — The Pinal County Sheriff’s office has upgraded a K-9 patrol vehicle with state-of-the-art technology that could potentially reduce the number of police pursuits.
“This new equipment will help us find stolen vehicles faster,” said Sheriff Paul Babeu. “It will provide us with video evidence to ensure seamless prosecution and it will reduce the length of time deputies are involved in vehicle pursuit therefore making it safer for deputies and the citizens of Pinal County.”
The Arizona Auto Theft Authority awarded PCSO the $40,158 used for the K-9 police vehicle makeover. The vehicle is fitted with an Automatic License Plate Rader (ALPR), a Panasonic Arbitrator 360-degree camera designed for police and mobile spike system.
According to information provided by PCSO, the ALPR can read 3,600 license plates per minute with a 94 percent accuracy rate.
The 360-degree camera can record all four sides of the vehicle at one time and should help with investigations.
The mobile spike system is designed to mimic the standard stop sticks used by PCSO, but deputies can deploy the mobile strips without leaving their vehicle.
In addition, the deputy assigned to the vehicle will have the capability of pressing a button worn on their uniform, which will allow the K-9 to be released from inside the vehicle and provide assistance.
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food