PHOENIX — The Pinal County Sheriff’s office has upgraded a K-9 patrol vehicle with state-of-the-art technology that could potentially reduce the number of police pursuits.
“This new equipment will help us find stolen vehicles faster,” said Sheriff Paul Babeu. “It will provide us with video evidence to ensure seamless prosecution and it will reduce the length of time deputies are involved in vehicle pursuit therefore making it safer for deputies and the citizens of Pinal County.”
The Arizona Auto Theft Authority awarded PCSO the $40,158 used for the K-9 police vehicle makeover. The vehicle is fitted with an Automatic License Plate Rader (ALPR), a Panasonic Arbitrator 360-degree camera designed for police and mobile spike system.
According to information provided by PCSO, the ALPR can read 3,600 license plates per minute with a 94 percent accuracy rate.
The 360-degree camera can record all four sides of the vehicle at one time and should help with investigations.
The mobile spike system is designed to mimic the standard stop sticks used by PCSO, but deputies can deploy the mobile strips without leaving their vehicle.
In addition, the deputy assigned to the vehicle will have the capability of pressing a button worn on their uniform, which will allow the K-9 to be released from inside the vehicle and provide assistance.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.