FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. — Arizona’s largest public utility has created an endowment to benefit trails at the Grand Canyon.
Arizona Public Service Company has donated $1 million to partner with the National Park Service on the Grand Canyon Trails Forever Endowment.
Park Superintendent Dave Uberuaga said the money will help reduce a backlog of trail maintenance that has topped $40 million.
The Grand Canyon has hundreds of miles of trails but some are more popular than others. Those include the Bright Angel, South and North Kaibab and River trails. Uberuaga said most trails get repaired on an emergency basis.
About $350,000 of the money has already been used to renovate the Bright Angel Trailhead. APS President Don Brandt said Bright Angel was an absolute mess.
“The Bright Angel Trailhead was porta-potties in a state of disrepair,” he said.
Grand Canyon Association Director Susan Schroeder said that is all changed now.
“The porta-potties are gone,” she said. “They do have wonderful, clean, flush toilets now at the top of Bright Angel Trailhead.”
There have also been improvements to the parking lot and some structures have been built to provide shade.
Schroeder said that the endowment will help the canyon now and in the future.
“We will be able to spin off money consistently every year to the park,” she said. “That is why we are going to be looking at adding (more money) to that endowment.”
They hope to do that soliciting future donations.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon