FLAGSTAFF, Ariz. — Arizona’s largest public utility has created an endowment to benefit trails at the Grand Canyon.
Arizona Public Service Company has donated $1 million to partner with the National Park Service on the Grand Canyon Trails Forever Endowment.
Park Superintendent Dave Uberuaga said the money will help reduce a backlog of trail maintenance that has topped $40 million.
The Grand Canyon has hundreds of miles of trails but some are more popular than others. Those include the Bright Angel, South and North Kaibab and River trails. Uberuaga said most trails get repaired on an emergency basis.
About $350,000 of the money has already been used to renovate the Bright Angel Trailhead. APS President Don Brandt said Bright Angel was an absolute mess.
“The Bright Angel Trailhead was porta-potties in a state of disrepair,” he said.
Grand Canyon Association Director Susan Schroeder said that is all changed now.
“The porta-potties are gone,” she said. “They do have wonderful, clean, flush toilets now at the top of Bright Angel Trailhead.”
There have also been improvements to the parking lot and some structures have been built to provide shade.
Schroeder said that the endowment will help the canyon now and in the future.
“We will be able to spin off money consistently every year to the park,” she said. “That is why we are going to be looking at adding (more money) to that endowment.”
They hope to do that soliciting future donations.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.