PHOENIX — Former NFL player Hank Baskett III is partnering with a local foundation to host a lung cancer walk and 5K race Sunday.
Money raised at the Feb. 9 event will go towards the Bonnie J. Addario Lung Cancer Foundation, which is also helping to put on the event at Papago Park near the Phoenix Zoo. Race time is 9 a.m.
Baskett said raising money is great, but that’s not his main goal.
“The biggest thing is that we create awareness,” Baskett said. “By having those people come out, join my team and walk beside me, that allows them to go back and tell their friends. It’s just a snowball effect. One turns into two, two turns into for and so forth.”
Baskett’s father is fighting lung cancer. He said that the foundation has played a major part in that fight.
“It’s been a tremendous blessing. Without their help, I don’t know if my dad would be here today,” Baskett said. “Their team of doctors and team of oncologists is amazing at what they do and is amazing at getting people help.”
Baskett, who appears with his wife Kendra Wilkinson on the reality show “Kendra on Top,” has formed his own team for the race and joining Care Basketts is open to the public.
To show his appreciation for those who participate in the race, Baskett will meet with fans, sign autographs and make himself available for photos at Salut Kitchen Bar in Tempe on Saturday night.
He’ll also do the same for a few hours after the race.
Baskett played four seasons in the NFL with the Indianapolis Colts, Minnesota Vikings and the Philadelphia Eagles.
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof