PHOENIX — Former NFL player Hank Baskett III is partnering with a local foundation to host a lung cancer walk and 5K race Sunday.
Money raised at the Feb. 9 event will go towards the Bonnie J. Addario Lung Cancer Foundation, which is also helping to put on the event at Papago Park near the Phoenix Zoo. Race time is 9 a.m.
Baskett said raising money is great, but that’s not his main goal.
“The biggest thing is that we create awareness,” Baskett said. “By having those people come out, join my team and walk beside me, that allows them to go back and tell their friends. It’s just a snowball effect. One turns into two, two turns into for and so forth.”
Baskett’s father is fighting lung cancer. He said that the foundation has played a major part in that fight.
“It’s been a tremendous blessing. Without their help, I don’t know if my dad would be here today,” Baskett said. “Their team of doctors and team of oncologists is amazing at what they do and is amazing at getting people help.”
Baskett, who appears with his wife Kendra Wilkinson on the reality show “Kendra on Top,” has formed his own team for the race and joining Care Basketts is open to the public.
To show his appreciation for those who participate in the race, Baskett will meet with fans, sign autographs and make himself available for photos at Salut Kitchen Bar in Tempe on Saturday night.
He’ll also do the same for a few hours after the race.
Baskett played four seasons in the NFL with the Indianapolis Colts, Minnesota Vikings and the Philadelphia Eagles.
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee