PHOENIX — Former NFL player Hank Baskett III is partnering with a local foundation to host a lung cancer walk and 5K race Sunday.
Money raised at the Feb. 9 event will go towards the Bonnie J. Addario Lung Cancer Foundation, which is also helping to put on the event at Papago Park near the Phoenix Zoo. Race time is 9 a.m.
Baskett said raising money is great, but that’s not his main goal.
“The biggest thing is that we create awareness,” Baskett said. “By having those people come out, join my team and walk beside me, that allows them to go back and tell their friends. It’s just a snowball effect. One turns into two, two turns into for and so forth.”
Baskett’s father is fighting lung cancer. He said that the foundation has played a major part in that fight.
“It’s been a tremendous blessing. Without their help, I don’t know if my dad would be here today,” Baskett said. “Their team of doctors and team of oncologists is amazing at what they do and is amazing at getting people help.”
Baskett, who appears with his wife Kendra Wilkinson on the reality show “Kendra on Top,” has formed his own team for the race and joining Care Basketts is open to the public.
To show his appreciation for those who participate in the race, Baskett will meet with fans, sign autographs and make himself available for photos at Salut Kitchen Bar in Tempe on Saturday night.
He’ll also do the same for a few hours after the race.
Baskett played four seasons in the NFL with the Indianapolis Colts, Minnesota Vikings and the Philadelphia Eagles.
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them