SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — Obamacare could be causing the value of your home to drop.
It’s not a joke.
“When you go from November 2012 to November 2013, right when Obamacare hit, Valley home sales are down 27 percent,” said Valley real estate expert Dean Wegner.
He admits it could be a coincidence.
“Interest rates did rise, but the two big headlines were probably a rise in interest rates and Obamacare hitting at the same time,” Wegner said. “But it was like the brakes hit. The market slowed down substantially. A 27 percent decrease.”
Wegner said the buyer pool could be shrinking because companies are only hiring part-time workers to avoid paying for health insurance. Because they are working less than 30 hours a week, people are continuing to rent instead of trying to buy a house.
Incidentally, people who take a second job to earn enough money to buy a house are getting rejected. Mortgage companies want to see that the people they are lending to have been on the job for at least two years. Most who have taken a second job are being rejected because they haven’t been employed at the second one long enough.
Despite all of this, Wegner said now is still a good time to sell your house. The price hikes of the past few years may have now left you with enough equity to sell your house and have enough money to use as a down payment on your next one.
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.