SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — Obamacare could be causing the value of your home to drop.
It’s not a joke.
“When you go from November 2012 to November 2013, right when Obamacare hit, Valley home sales are down 27 percent,” said Valley real estate expert Dean Wegner.
He admits it could be a coincidence.
“Interest rates did rise, but the two big headlines were probably a rise in interest rates and Obamacare hitting at the same time,” Wegner said. “But it was like the brakes hit. The market slowed down substantially. A 27 percent decrease.”
Wegner said the buyer pool could be shrinking because companies are only hiring part-time workers to avoid paying for health insurance. Because they are working less than 30 hours a week, people are continuing to rent instead of trying to buy a house.
Incidentally, people who take a second job to earn enough money to buy a house are getting rejected. Mortgage companies want to see that the people they are lending to have been on the job for at least two years. Most who have taken a second job are being rejected because they haven’t been employed at the second one long enough.
Despite all of this, Wegner said now is still a good time to sell your house. The price hikes of the past few years may have now left you with enough equity to sell your house and have enough money to use as a down payment on your next one.
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon