SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — Obamacare could be causing the value of your home to drop.
It’s not a joke.
“When you go from November 2012 to November 2013, right when Obamacare hit, Valley home sales are down 27 percent,” said Valley real estate expert Dean Wegner.
He admits it could be a coincidence.
“Interest rates did rise, but the two big headlines were probably a rise in interest rates and Obamacare hitting at the same time,” Wegner said. “But it was like the brakes hit. The market slowed down substantially. A 27 percent decrease.”
Wegner said the buyer pool could be shrinking because companies are only hiring part-time workers to avoid paying for health insurance. Because they are working less than 30 hours a week, people are continuing to rent instead of trying to buy a house.
Incidentally, people who take a second job to earn enough money to buy a house are getting rejected. Mortgage companies want to see that the people they are lending to have been on the job for at least two years. Most who have taken a second job are being rejected because they haven’t been employed at the second one long enough.
Despite all of this, Wegner said now is still a good time to sell your house. The price hikes of the past few years may have now left you with enough equity to sell your house and have enough money to use as a down payment on your next one.
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night