PHOENIX — Mesa Mayor Scott Smith is giving back on his birthday this year.
The gubernatorial hopeful turns 58 on Friday and to celebrate, he is taking his plane for a whirl to Yuma.
Smith said many don’t realize it, but he’s been a pilot for the better part of a decade.
“I’m sure it’s probably a surprise to many people that I fly a plane, but I love it,” he said. “It’s one of my great passions.”
But this year, Smith won’t be taking just any ordinary trip. Instead, he will leave Falcon Field in Mesa, before sunrise, to transport a special payload of blood.
“United Blood Services delivers the blood platelets to Falcon Field, I put it in my plane, takeoff and in my plane it’s a short 57- or 58-minute flight from Mesa to Yuma,” he said.
From there, the Yuma Regional Medical Center will use the blood for patient care.
Smith noted the flight is part of a group called Flights for Life.
“It’s a group of several dozen pilots that donate their time and their planes to fly blood and blood products around the state for United Blood Services,” he said.
He added that he is glad to help out the organization.
“We get to give service, we get to do something that really has an impact on people’s lives and we get to fly around this great state,” Smith said. “It’s so beautiful from the air and especially early in the morning.”
Smith should land in Yuma around 8:30 a.m. Friday.
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck