PHOENIX — Mesa Mayor Scott Smith is giving back on his birthday this year.
The gubernatorial hopeful turns 58 on Friday and to celebrate, he is taking his plane for a whirl to Yuma.
Smith said many don’t realize it, but he’s been a pilot for the better part of a decade.
“I’m sure it’s probably a surprise to many people that I fly a plane, but I love it,” he said. “It’s one of my great passions.”
But this year, Smith won’t be taking just any ordinary trip. Instead, he will leave Falcon Field in Mesa, before sunrise, to transport a special payload of blood.
“United Blood Services delivers the blood platelets to Falcon Field, I put it in my plane, takeoff and in my plane it’s a short 57- or 58-minute flight from Mesa to Yuma,” he said.
From there, the Yuma Regional Medical Center will use the blood for patient care.
Smith noted the flight is part of a group called Flights for Life.
“It’s a group of several dozen pilots that donate their time and their planes to fly blood and blood products around the state for United Blood Services,” he said.
He added that he is glad to help out the organization.
“We get to give service, we get to do something that really has an impact on people’s lives and we get to fly around this great state,” Smith said. “It’s so beautiful from the air and especially early in the morning.”
Smith should land in Yuma around 8:30 a.m. Friday.
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life