Republican State Rep. Carl Seel has introduced a controversial new bill that would prohibit illegal immigrants from using public resources, like roads or bathrooms.
When Seel spoke to News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Mac & Gaydos on Thursday, he insisted the bill was being misconstrued, saying it does not target all illegal immigrants.
“It only applies to people who have had their day in court,” Seel explained. “In other words, if you were here illegally and you were driving recklessly and you got arrested for it..and you had your day in court and thereafter, you could not show that you were legally here and you overstayed your court orders.”
In other words, Seel said, it applies to those “who have been ordered to self-deport.”
According to KSAZ-TV, in the past, Seel has “authored a bill that would have required President Obama and other candidates running for president to prove they’re U.S. citizens.”
Seel has also supported HB 1070, and he said this bill falls within the Supreme Court’s ruling.
“It’s amazing how, when we enforce elements that we can enforce — 1070 and the Fair and Legal Employment Act and Prop 200 and the like — how violent crimes go down and the quality of life gets better here in Arizona,” Seel said.
Seel knew of the controversy his proposed bill was generating, but he said that just goes along with the political territory.
“Any bill that anybody writes, they can slam it anyway they want or slant it anyway they want,” Seel said.
While reiterating that the bill would apply to “only the few who have had their day in court,” Seel said the bill would also apply to anyone, even U.S. citizens, who came across Arizona’s border from another state who may either be in violation of their parole or if they failed to register as a sex offender once arriving in the state.
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- ‘Supernatural’ TV show convention comes to Arizona
- Jan Brewer thinks Paul Penzone will have tough time beating Sheriff Joe Arpaio
- Mac & Gaydos joined by Burmese python after losing March Madness bet
- Mac and Gaydos deliver pizzas to winning class in REDucation contest
- Civil rights activist wants Phoenix-area NAACP boss to step down after incident