Republican State Rep. Carl Seel has introduced a controversial new bill that would prohibit illegal immigrants from using public resources, like roads or bathrooms.
When Seel spoke to News/Talk 92.3 KTAR’s Mac & Gaydos on Thursday, he insisted the bill was being misconstrued, saying it does not target all illegal immigrants.
“It only applies to people who have had their day in court,” Seel explained. “In other words, if you were here illegally and you were driving recklessly and you got arrested for it..and you had your day in court and thereafter, you could not show that you were legally here and you overstayed your court orders.”
In other words, Seel said, it applies to those “who have been ordered to self-deport.”
According to KSAZ-TV, in the past, Seel has “authored a bill that would have required President Obama and other candidates running for president to prove they’re U.S. citizens.”
Seel has also supported HB 1070, and he said this bill falls within the Supreme Court’s ruling.
“It’s amazing how, when we enforce elements that we can enforce — 1070 and the Fair and Legal Employment Act and Prop 200 and the like — how violent crimes go down and the quality of life gets better here in Arizona,” Seel said.
Seel knew of the controversy his proposed bill was generating, but he said that just goes along with the political territory.
“Any bill that anybody writes, they can slam it anyway they want or slant it anyway they want,” Seel said.
While reiterating that the bill would apply to “only the few who have had their day in court,” Seel said the bill would also apply to anyone, even U.S. citizens, who came across Arizona’s border from another state who may either be in violation of their parole or if they failed to register as a sex offender once arriving in the state.
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- ‘Supernatural’ TV show convention comes to Arizona
- Jan Brewer thinks Paul Penzone will have tough time beating Sheriff Joe Arpaio
- Mac & Gaydos joined by Burmese python after losing March Madness bet
- Mac and Gaydos deliver pizzas to winning class in REDucation contest
- Civil rights activist wants Phoenix-area NAACP boss to step down after incident