PHOENIX — Winter may not be Arizona’s forte, but the state still has a representative at the Winter Games in Sochi, Russia.
United States Olympic snowboarding team coach Mike Jankowski got his start at Arizona Snowbowl near Flagstaff as a snowboarding instructor in the late 1990s.
“There’s a huge tie to Flagstaff, Snowbowl and Northern Arizona University, where Jankowski went to school,” said Jason Stratton with the ski resort.
Stratton said the winter Olympics drum up huge interest in skiing and that’s white gold for Snowbowl.
“First-time skiers see the Olympics on TV and say, ‘I want to try that,’ while others that haven’t skied in 10 to 15 years will come out too,” he said. “We will definitely see a spike.”
An Olympics opening ceremony viewing party is being held Friday at Heritage Square in Flagstaff starting at 7 p.m.
- Affordable small home makeovers for Mother's Day
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life